Windows 10-Multiple User files-Duplicate Files

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

xaf

I have a Dell Inspiron 3000 desktop using Office 365. I have had to rely on the Microsoft's free Tech Support a number of times; upgrading to Windows 10, elements of office not working, etc. Several times, rather then fixing the issue at hand the Techs have created new user profiles. This leads to my current problem. Under the "Users" file their are 10 users listed: Bob, bobhu, Default.migrated, Default AppPool, Public, Robert, Temp, Test, Test2, Test Profile with only 2 actual user accounts on the computer. This has led to multiple duplicate files in different locations on the computer. For some reason (it may be related to installation of Windows updates), the computer will ocassionally revert back to a previous user profile. If not caught immediately this can lead to updating of old files rather then the current version of a file. For example: When using Quicken it will revert back to data files that may be a year old. if not paying attention when adding new data this could lead to erroneous data.

Sorry if this is long winded but I wanted to try to fully explain the issue. My basic question is, "What would be the best way to resolve this problem permanently, keeping in mind that I do not want to lose any old data, documents, pictures, etc. I have 3 solutions in mind (listed in no particular order), (1) pay a local computer shop to fix the issue (2) Try to resolve the issue myself [some tech help/knowledge may be required] (3) Use Microsoft Support on-line [paid, not the free support]. Any suggestions or guidance on how to approach this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4460 CPU @ 3.20GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 8108 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600, 1024 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 917 GB (160 GB Free); E: 1862 GB (1497 GB Free);
Motherboard: Dell Inc., 088DT1
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

TerryNet

Terry
Do it yourself. :)

Keep the two actual User accounts plus Public and Default.

Then, working on one of the others at a time, copy or move any files desired to Public or one of your actual accounts. Then remove that non-wanted account and its data. (In Windows 8.1 this would be in Control Panel - User Accounts; should be similar in Windows 10.) If the User account does not appear in the list of user accounts then you can just delete the folder from C:\Users.

xaf

Sorry, that I did not get back to you sooner. Life kind of got in the way, I had some health issues and ended up spending some time in the hospital. I came home to even bigger issues that may beyond the limits of my abilities. My granddaughter was signed on as a user, but when I tried to switch to my user name I got the following scrolling across the screen: Hi, Happy you are here. We're getting things ready for you. Please don't turn off your PC.
After several hours I shut the computer down. Now when I try to go to my user name I get one of two errors (1) As the desk top tries to load it just flashes on and off a couple times a second or (2) the desk top loads but I get an error message that I can't get past. "DDE SERVER WINDOW explorer.exe system Warning - Unknown hard error." I went on line and tried a few of the fixes I found but nothing seems to work to allow me to get on as a user. Right now I have all the external equipment (2 printers, speakers, and external hard drive disconnected. I removed a bunch of games my granddaughter had loaded that were eating up tons of space.
Unless you have some suggestions on what to do, I guess my next stop will be the local computer shop.

Thank you
Bob Hummel

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online