Solved Windows 10 not booting up

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mana123

I have a Lenovo Z40 laptop with a SSHD hard drive, Windows 10. Bought it with Windows 8 in late 2014 and upgraded to Windows 10.

It has crashed and is not booting up. It's possible there's a hard drive failure, I heard some noises when starting it when it crashed. Now when I try to boot it up it makes steady beeping noises.

Things I have tried:
1. Boot from USB containing Windows 10 ISO. I get the language screen, and then go repair/troubleshooting and brought up the command prompt, which showed x:\sources>

Things I've tried:
x:\sources> dir c:
to find the system drive. Can't find it and went all the way to x:\sources>dir z:
It only locates the x: directory, which is the source directory here.

I tried
x:\sources>diskpart
diskpart>list volume
Volume # Letter LABEL Fs Type Size Status
volume 0 C - - DVD-ROM 0 bytes No media
volume 1 D EST-USB Fat32 removable 3941MB Healthy

Also note that I could NOT get a command prompt by running shift+F10 when it was booting up. This is a laptop keyboard with an orange Fn key and orange Fn numbers on the top keys. So neither the shift+F10 works nor does the orange-Fn-key+F10. I got to the command prompt from the troubleshooting/repair screen. Not sure if there is a different key sequence with this keyboard.

x:\sources>wmic logicaldisk get name
C:
D:
X:

2. x:\> dir
setup.exe
Program Files
Program Files(x86)
sources
Users
Windows
So x:\> must be the hard drive? Should I run chkdsk on x:? Should it be run from the d:\> shell?

3. Now when I run X:>\diskpart it shows me:
diskpart>list volume
Volume # Letter LABEL Fs Type Size Status
volume 0 D - - DVD-ROM 0 bytes No media
volume 1 C EST-USB Fat32 removable 3941MB Healthy
The drive letters have switched from the data above, the only difference is this was run from x:\> instead of x:\sources> above ! Why am I not seeing the X: drive?

4. I don't have a backup image to restore from. A repair does not work.

5. I don't remember what I tried from the windows troubleshooting screen but I got a message that said the drive is locked.

6. I am hesitant to do a fresh install unless I am sure I am doing it right as I am afraid I might lose my data. One tech support guy I spoke to locally said he does not have the proprietary cable to recover data from SSD drives. He also told me to be careful running commands on the command prompt. Before I try to find someone else, I thought I'd post here and see if I could get some help.

7. Technically- I have never worked on booting and recovering from ISO, hence I am very hesitant to inadvertently do the wrong thing! Still googling online, but I think there is something very basic here with how drives are recognized when booting from ISO that I am missing in my understanding.

I would greatly appreciate some help. I have important data on this laptop.

ps: I am hesitant to run your free sysinfo utility on this machine since it is not booting up(I guess I'll have to copy it to the ISO on the USB?). If someone can give me the list of cmds in sysinfo to run on the command prompt to get you more info, I would be happy to do that.

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Hi mana123 and welcome to TSG.

Is there a pause between a repeating pattern of beeps ? Are some beeps short and some long ?
If there is a pattern please tell us what it is.

Unfortunately none of the information in your post is showing the main hard drive (X: is actually a virtual drive and the files on it are from inside the Iso file on the Usb stick).

Try looking in the Bios to see if the drive is detected there.

Is it an SSD or an SSHD ? (SSHD is a mechanical drive with some SSD added).

I think the 'tech' meant you can use an adapter cable to connect a drive via Usb and recover the files off it but if your drive really is dead I'm afraid that won't work.

The Sysinfo.exe utility will only work in Windows.

Last edited:

mana123

Thanks for your response 'managed'. The beeps have a regular rhythm to them- A beep every 3 seconds until I plug in to the USB with ISO on it.They are not short and long.

My purchase order for this laptop says SSHD:
Hybrid 500GB 5400 RPM+8GB SSHD

The tech actually said reading off a SSD drive requires some proprietary cable(something by Lenovo perhaps?) which he doesn't have.

I had to have the USB plugged in on bootup- F2 on the Lenovo logo got me to the BIOS

In Information in BIOS:
HardDisk ST500L-M000-SSHD-8GB
ODD Matshita DVD RAM

I don't see any drive specs anywhere else. So it looks like it is recognizing 8GB of this hybrid drive but not picking up the 500GB drive? Or is this one drive and the ST500L means it is recognizing the 500GB? Yeesh.. onto google to research SSHD!

In BOOT->EFI:
EFI USB device
EFI Network 0 for IPV4
EFI Network 0 for IPV6

Is this sysinfo.exe utility available on the ISO? You can understand my hesitation about downloading an exe from the web and running it!

Also, your signature is not making me happy right now!! ;-)

Last edited:

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
It seems the Bios finds the 8GB SSD part but not the 500GB. The ST500L-M000 is just the maker's name for the drive.

I think the drive is damaged but you can check using this Seatools for Dos link to get the ISO, then make a CD and boot from it :-
https://www.seagate.com/files/www-c...tools/_shared/downloads/SeaToolsDOS223ALL.ISO

Run the short test and if passes run the long test.

Sysinfo.exe has to be downloaded from TSG, it's not on the Usb stick or in the Iso.
It won't work unless it's run in Windows, so it won't work for you

mana123

I made a DVD(my burner also created a desktop.ini) - laptop won't boot from it.

Put the seagate ISO on a clean USB stick and tried to boot from it- no luck.
Basically bootmanager does not recognize a boot device/option in both cases.

Also when booting from Windows ISO- only the USB works, not the DVD-- maybe the option is missing in the boot sequence?

I seem to be flailing around here without fully knowing how this is done in a systematic fashion!

Thank you for your patience and for your help. I'm hoping I can salvage my data.

Last edited:

dmccoy

Darrin
Try changing the from UEFI to Legacy mode and Disable Secure boot option in the bios. Then see if you can boot from CD/DVD

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Try changing the from UEFI to Legacy mode and Disable Secure boot option in the bios. Then see if you can boot from CD/DVD
Good idea.

How did you burn the DVD, as an Image using the Iso ? You didn't just copy the Iso onto the Dvd did you ?

You may have to change the boot device order in the Bios and put the DVD first before it will boot.

mana123

Good idea.

How did you burn the DVD, as an Image using the Iso ? You didn't just copy the Iso onto the Dvd did you ?

You may have to change the boot device order in the Bios and put the DVD first before it will boot.
Well.. when I popped the new DVD in, a dialog popped up asking for a label which I skipped, I moved the ISO to that folder and burned it. That's why I mentioned it also had a desktop.ini-- in case that's a red flag. How do I burn the ISO directly? Is there a utility for it?

Thank you folks, really appreciate your help.

mana123

Alright dckeks-- at least I am learning something new.
Changed Boot Mode to Legacy Support, Boot Mode to Legacy First, Put the Seagate DVD in and rebooted.

I get:
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM

I hope I am doing this process right. What's the verdict or is something still possible?

ps: Image attached is when the ISO was not burned directly

Attachments

Last edited:

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
You right-click the Iso file and select 'Burn disk image'. You can also select 'Verify' to check that there are no errors on the DVD, do that please.

mana123

You right-click the Iso file and select 'Burn disk image'. You can also select 'Verify' to check that there are no errors on the DVD, do that please.
Ok 'managed'. Burned the ISO directly and booted from it.
It is not recognizing any hard drives.

2 images attached.

Attachments

mana123

On googling the issue of Drive Where Windows is Installed is locked, which I got early in this process when trying to do a Repair or Reinstall: http://windowsreport.com/drive-windows-installed-locked/

"As previously mentioned, The Drive Where Windows is Installed is Locked error can appear due to your hard drive. Several users reported that their hard drive wasn’t properly connected causing the error to occur.

To fix this problem, you need to open your computer case, locate your hard drive and check if its cables are tightly connected. In addition, you need to check if the hard driveis properly connected to your motherboard.

After connecting your hard drive properly, the issue should be completely resolved."

Is that a possibility here? I did hear some strange noises on booting up when it first crashed.

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
It's worth a look to see if the hard drive has somehow disconnected but it's not very likely.

mana123

Thank you so very much for your engagement with my issue and for your help. I'll check first to see if hard drive has disconnected in case there is a chance I can retrieve my data.

Given that basic laptops are getting cheaper and cheaper, I'm wondering if I should just ditch this one and get another.

Another issue I've been having is that the power cable keeps going bad(bent wire, bad design on where the power jack/port is placed-- left side where the wire bends when on your lap as opposed to at the back on older models where the wire would be straight), or perhaps I also need a new power port.

Lenovo used to make excellent quality laptops about 10 years ago- miles ahead of Dell which would keep having h/w issues every month or so. So I was willing to pay premium for their quality. Sadly this time around the power cable/jack started having issues in about an year and their customer support is non-committal about quality. The innovator's mantra should be: If a design works, don't mess with it.

Thanks so much for your generous assistance! I'll keep you posted.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online