1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 10 not working after upgrade

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Dano2, Dec 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dano2

Dano2 Thread Starter

Hi,
    My Sister has a HP Pavillion that had Win-7 on it originally. After she upgraded to Windows-10 she lost all Desktop Icons. Evidently when she tries clicking on the Windows button at the bottom, it does not work along with the Search (magnifying glass) any functions when she searches do not work.

I wish I had the computer in front of me but this was all discussed over the phone. If needed I might be able to get the Laptop from her if it sounds like something that can be fixed.

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

When was the upgrade to 10 and from where was the upgrade obtained

3. Dano2

Dano2 Thread Starter

Hi, the Upgrade to Win-10 was over a year ago and she obtained it from the Microsoft website. Evidently it then worked ok until a few months later , she booted up her machine and she said there was a download occurring. She does not know what the download was. From that point on, is when she started having issues.

4. Macboatmaster

It would be far better if you had the laptop in your possession
    Follow the procedure here
    https://forums.techguy.org/threads/using-the-sfc-and-dism-to-repair-windows-10.1235557/

If that does not work proceed to
    https://forums.techguy.org/threads/...tall-or-feature-update-using-the-iso.1235320/
    On that option all data, apps and programs should be retained
    Of course you should back up anything important first

If that does not work copy personal data etc that you need and make a clean install
    https://forums.techguy.org/threads/doing-a-completely-clean-reinstall-of-windows-10.1235377/

CAUTION on the last option, yours apps and programs will be deleted -

As this problem seems to have occurred some months ago, it may help if you were to tell us what if anything has been tried to fix it in the meantime.

5. Dano2

Dano2 Thread Starter

Ok thank you. That was my thought as well. I will see if I can get it or not. However looking at those instructions it looks pretty involved and time consuming, more time than I may have. She might as well take it into someone for repair services.

6. Macboatmaster

As you wish
    Good luck with it

7. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    James
    I had this issue myself. I fixed this by going to powershell.

To get to powershell, follow this page for ways to get to it.

Next use this command:

Get-AppXPackage | foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode - Register "$($_.InstallLocation) \AppXManifest.xml"}

and it should fix it.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1236493

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice