1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 10 Privacy Concerns - Fact or Fiction?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Al_Ciao, Apr 26, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Al_Ciao

Al_Ciao Thread Starter

So given that Microsoft is going to stop support for Windows 7 in nine months, I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and get Win10. Of course, I've heard a fair amount of the privacy concerns, and doing a fair amount of googling just now hasn't cleared everything up, as I hear different things from different sources.

I know that Microsoft, like Google, will track websites I go to in their browser, track emails I type in their email system, that sort of thing. That's fine.

But I don't want it literally snooping at the contents of my PC, seeing what files I have on it, and what the contents of those files are. I don't want it listening to what I type in, say, Notepad. (I heard it has a keylogger, is that true? Does the keylogger only look at what I type in Edge and related stuff, or does it look at every keystroke I ever type?)

I have a lot of confidential and/or personal info, and while I doubt Microsoft would ever actually do anything sinister with it, it's not something I feel comfortable with them snooping into.

How valid are these sorts of privacy concerns? Thanks for your answers :)

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Keylogging is mainly the activity monitor option in Settings>Privacy>Inking and Typing personalization feature. You can turn it off. MS, imho, is trustworthy in explaining what they use the data for - personalization.
    Most of it is mainly feeding the data into Cortana, which comes up with things to suggest. And you have to look at the things Cortana comes up with to understand this. For example if you type in sticky note that you have an appointment at such & such - it can pop up a reminder at that time.
    MS has too many customers to care about what one of a million individual does.

Al_Ciao likes this.
  3. Al_Ciao

Al_Ciao Thread Starter

Thank you! I do feel better now :)

I'm still highly curious though what exactly they're looking at, even if it's only for Cortana.

Does the keylogger log every keystroke, in any program? Or just in Edge and similar Microsoft specific programs?

Does the activity tracker (or anything else in Windows 10 for that matter) look at the contents of files stored or accessed on my hard drive?

4. bobcat5536

bobcat5536

5. Al_Ciao

Al_Ciao Thread Starter

Cool, thank you! I will look into that.

I would still like answers to my questions about exactly what Windows10 is looking at, though, please :)

6. bobcat5536

bobcat5536

Not real sure what kind of info they gather, or how it's used. Some of the options in the software should give you some kind of idea.

7. Al_Ciao

Al_Ciao Thread Starter

Thanks, I appreciate your answer :) I'll take a look at the software.

Does anyone else know?

8. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
  9. Al_Ciao

Al_Ciao Thread Starter

Thanks, but that still doesn't answer my question :) Google, Facebook, etc, aren't looking at the contents of my hard drive, or keylogging my typing outside of their associated services.

I'm worried that Windows 10 is looking at the contents of my hard drive or keylogging everything. And I would like to know how true that is :)

10. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    There is a privacy setting in W10 that you can set by yourself manually to turn them on or off.
    You still have until January, 2020 to decide if you want to upgrade to W10 or not. If you still have W7 you can still upgrade for Free. I am not quite sure if the free upgrade may end soon but that is up to microsoft to decide.

11. Al_Ciao

Al_Ciao Thread Starter

Thanks, but what is it that I'd be turning on or off?

I just want to know what Windows10 is looking at, and under what circumstances? I understand there are ways to circumvent it, but I'd still like to know what exactly it is that I'm circumventing :)

12. Al_Ciao

Al_Ciao Thread Starter

Does no one know?

Specifically, does Windows 10 look at the contents of the hard drive? And does it keylog everything, or just things in Microsoft programs/apps?

I do know there are ways of circumventing them, but I do want to know, please. Thanks :)

13. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    I think there is a bigger issue with all of the different web sites and or any program that you install on your machine that may track one's actions than what some people think that Big Brother at Microsoft just may be doing.

Edit:
    Hope you do NOT use the cloud as they (Cloud venders) have more access to your data than Microsoft would, unless you are using their (Microsoft) cloud services?

Lanctus likes this.
  14. Al_Ciao

Al_Ciao Thread Starter

Why won't people give me a straight answer? :(

I know websites and stuff track you, but that's ONLY if you use their services. Like yeah, Google tracks what you do in their browser, on their search engine, and in their email, that kind of stuff, but they're not peeking at the contents of my hard drive.

15. Lanctus

Lanctus

"Microsoft is publishing its documents detailing the Windows 10 data collection over at the company’s TechNet site, and it plans to provide more information in the future. “We will also share more information about how we will ensure Windows 10 is compliant with the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation,” says Marisa Rogers, Microsoft’s Windows and devices privacy officer."

This will tell you what MS/Win 10 is collecting. https://www.theverge.com/2017/4/5/1...10-data-collection-documents-privacy-concerns

"These latest privacy changes will arrive alongside a separate Windows Diagnostic Data Viewer. The viewer includes an overview of data being sent to Microsoft’s servers by Windows 10. Microsoft collects a bunch of anonymous Windows 10 data from users to help improve the operating system and make product decisions. The new viewer is similar to something like Wireshark, and it lets Windows 10 users decrypt data that is sent encrypted to Microsoft’s servers."
    https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/6/17086754/microsoft-windows-10-privacy-changes-features

To add to what DaveA said, cloud security is spotty (case in point, all the celebrities that have had their cloud accounts hacked, and personal pics released). I hope this answers some questions.

Al_Ciao likes this.
  16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1226316

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice