Windows 10 programs sometimes freeze, but not whole system

johnpaulnick

Windows programs freeze and the only way to get it working again is to hit Control-Alt-Delete and go to switch user and log into the same user.

So sometimes this happens every 20 min and sometimes it doesn't happen for hours or even a day. Its just the programs that freeze and not all of Windows. Its a year old computer. I thought it may be the drive (and I wanted a SSD anyways) so I put in a SSD and reinstalled Windows 10 and I still have the same problem. I'm not running a lot of programs, but everything is updated and still supported by the developers (mighty text, chrome, final draft, MS Office and a few other little things).

Its a year old Dell i7 9th Gen, 16GB RAM, new Samsung 1 TB SSD installed a couple weeks ago, external seagate 8TB drive (it still freezes even with this disconnected), and another internal 4TB drive.

Any idea what is going on and what's causing it?

EDIT: Also, the cursor started jumping on its own sometimes

Last edited:

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Instead of using "Switch User" use "Logout and relogging in"

johnpaulnick

Unfortunately that doesn't help because I am in the middle of things and restarting the computer or shutting it down essentially does the same thing and that doesn't solve it.

Instead of using "Switch User" use "Logout and relogging in"

texasbullet

Ramon
I have the same problem too and have to open the task manager (Ctrl/Alt/Delete) and just click on cancel button twice. Might be the new windows 10 2020 bug or update which is causing this problem.

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Log off and the logging in again does NOT restart the machine, just the account.

Does this happen in all programs or just some, if so which ones?

johnpaulnick

I know, but what I was trying to say restarting does that and more. So what's the point of doing it if I restarted and it didn't resolve the issue?

Several programs and I don't get "not responding" at the top

Log off and the logging in again does NOT restart the machine, just the account.

Does this happen in all programs or just some, if so which ones?

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
If you are not up to the 2004 update for the OS, then it just may be trying to download that and you keep interrupting it
Also the AV scanning and other processes such as indexing can slow things down and make things appear that it is not working.

What AV program are you using?

It would be helpful for starters by telling us the make & model of the your computer?
Also please download our free system info utility from the following link:
https://static.techguy.org/download/tsginfo.exe
After it's been downloaded and saved, double-click it to run it.
Information about your computer will appear.
Return here to your thread, then copy-and-paste the ENTIRE text here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online