1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 10 recovery drive on disks as opposed to USB drive?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Battlesoaked, May 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Battlesoaked

Battlesoaked Thread Starter

I'm helping a fellow in Kampala with a new Windows 10 computer, and he doesn't have a USB drive. He does have access to writable DVDs.

1) Is it possible to create the equivalent of a USB recovery drive on disks? If not, isn't he better off simply creating a recovery disk and a system image on several DVDs, and placing them in sealed plastic bags?

2) Which writable DVDs would be best for this project? I assume that the write-once disks are the way to go.

I'm working off this article: https://www.howtogeek.com/131907/ho...ery-drive-or-system-repair-disc-in-windows-8/ Is there a better one?

Thanks,
    Scott

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Do you mean the computer does not have a usb port OR do you mean the man in Kampala does not have a usb flash drive
    The recovery drive is specific to the computer and can be used - depending on how it is made to reinstall the OS or indeed start over again as the computer was when sold

You cannot use a DVD as the space required is too much for a dvd and the way it works, does not allow for the insert disc 2 procedure

Have him make a installation DVD from here
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10
    using create installation media and he can then use some of the recovery and repair functions within that.

As you say the complete image on an external drive, together with backups of file data is the way to go.
    A failure to load windows can be addressed by using the three failure boot attempt to have the computer boot to recovery options which with the image will then allow that procedure if necessary
    OR the system can be booted with the installation media

If the lock screen displays but will not complete loading of windows then shift and restart will load the recovery options

3. Battlesoaked

Thanks for chiming in Macboatmaster:
    I'm sorry being unclear: he doesn't have a USB flash drive. OK, so, working exclusively with (say) DVD-Rs, will he also be able to restore the system image via the installation media he will create at the Microsoft site you indicated?

If so, then I think that all I'll need to do is walk him through getting to a boot menu so that he can choose the optical drive with the installation disk in it. Upon booting to the installation disk, he would have menu options to restore from the system image on the DVDs, with prompts for "Insert disk 2," etc.

Does all that sound about right?

4. Macboatmaster

Yes
    as here
    https://www.howtogeek.com/239312/how-to-restore-system-image-backups-on-windows-7-8-and-10/

either from the power button - restart and hold shift key as explained in my post and on this link
    OR from the repair your computer on the installation media
    troubleshoot
    advanced options
    system image recovery

IMAGE drive must be connected and Image cannot be in another folder it must be on root of drive
    as explained here
    https://forums.techguy.org/threads/unable-to-restore-windows-image-backup.1204907/#post-9471211

OR you can if he can still access windows use a repair install from the installation media but he MUST access it from within Windows not by booting from it
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

and NO
    The IMAGE must be on a drive not on DVD`s - he will have to buy an external drive, which he would need for the image anyway, as the IMAGE will require the same capacity as all the partitions in use on the OS drive.

Any idea you have of creating an image on DVD`s - is best forgotten

I apologise as I forgot that he cannot create an image on an external drive and then connect it usb when required.

Are such things not available in Kampala

Last edited: May 29, 2018
  5. Battlesoaked

Well, I advised him going in that a USB drive was what we would need. But when we got to the point where he was ready to set up the machine he said he didn't have one. I was just curious as to whether he could get by working exclusively with DVDs. Given the persistent high humidity at his location, I think it's best if he works with a USB drive anyway. So we'll either do that or he can rely on the restore partition. My big concern there is that the exploits might persist through a factory reset.

I'm guessing that Windows 10 - that's what he's running - won't be able to boot Redo Backup absent his going onto BIOS and switching off UEFI boot.

6. Macboatmaster

I do not understand
    what is
    redo backup - absent

You do not Configure legacy boot to make the image and neither do you configure legacy to restore the image
    Or indeed to use the factory reset partition if there is one

7. Battlesoaked

Redo Backup is a Linux distro which will image a drive and restore the image. But I don't think it will work on Win 10 machines because UEFI prevents booting of alternative OSs. There's a way to switch off UEFI, but since he's going to buy a USB flash drive we don't have to worry about any of that.

If it's OK I would like to leave this thread open because I'm rarely in Windows and may need a bit more help to get through this setup.

Thanks so much for assisting me with this project.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1210883

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice