1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 10 restore

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by sidbub, May 15, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. sidbub

sidbub Thread Starter

Where can I find all the system restore files. I would like to delete the old ones as I invoke new ones. Thanks.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Depending on how much hard drive space you allocated to system protection, the older restore files should automatically be removed as new restore files are created.

Are you having some sort of issue that needs to be addressed?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

3. sidbub

sidbub Thread Starter

No issue. Have plenty of storage space. Just want to trim down the old files that I would not use. Have 10 gigs allocated.

4. jmatt

jmatt

Extract from the link below, keep reading to see how it is done.
    "Physically, the system restore point files are located in the root directory of your system drive (as a rule, it is C:), in the folder System Volume Information. However, by default users don’t have access to this folder. To go to this directory, you should first make it visible, and then get special rights."
    https://hetmanrecovery.com/recovery_news/system-restore-point-in-windows-10.htm

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The hard drive in each of my 4 full-time desktops varies in capacity between 500 GB(465 GB) and 1 TB(931 GB).
    I allocate 4% in the smaller capacity ones and 2% in the larger capacity ones for system protection.
    I allocate the same amount of space in each for the recycle bin.
    If too many restore points do accumulate, I use the "Tools - System Restore" feature in Piriform CCleaner to remove them.

----------------------------------------------------------------

6. Lanctus

Lanctus

Control Panel > Recovery > Configure System Restore. A window will pop up, click the button System Restore, and another window will open with two choices: Recommended restore and Choose a different restore point. Recommended is your most recent Restore Point. If you click Choose a different restore point then Next, it will bring up a list of all your restore points.

7. sidbub

sidbub Thread Starter

Thank you all for this good info.

8. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

There is no need to invoke permissions to see the hidden folder and I would advise you against trying. I have seen attempts to change permissions go horribly wrong.
    Even when you gain access to it - you cannot delete RP`s from there with the usual method of select and delete as the system will NOT allow you to do so
    Windows 10 provides many options for deleting all except the most recent - simple method with disk cleanup
    OR chosen ones using cmd functions
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/33593-delete-system-restore-points-windows-10-a.html

9. sidbub

sidbub Thread Starter

You are right. Will not mess with it. Not that important. Thanks for your input.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1227197

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice