1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Windows 10 running slow

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by larryslade, Aug 13, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. larryslade

larryslade Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 142 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8064 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 620, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 918 GB (860 GB Free); D: 11 GB (1 GB Free);
    Motherboard: HP, 81FF
    Antivirus: Norton Internet Security, Enabled and Updated

It may be a coincidence but about 4 days ago I had a Windows update waiting when I tried to shutdown the laptop. The updates installed ok but the next day when I tried to start it up it barely responded. I did a system restore and that worked. At first the Edge browser was blazing along, but eventually certain sites really slowed down. Facebook was a waste of time. It would start up but never really got beyond that point. About half of my usual sites slowed down to a crawl. I also have Chrome installed and I have no problems with it. I have hardly any apps on Edge. I have no idea why it slows done on most sites. Thanks

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    According to your log, your HP laptop is running Windows 10 Home 64-bit with a third-party antivirus app - Norton Internet Security.
    You probably should get rid of it and stick with Windows 10's built-in antivirus app - Windows Defender Antivirus.
    Windows 10 doesn't do well in some computers(especially laptops) that use a third-party antivirus app.
    Updates failing to install and performance issues are common symptoms.

----------------------------------------------------------------

3. larryslade

I'll give it a shot. Many thanks for your help

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You're welcome.

By the way, today is "patch Tuesday", so there should be a new cumulative update for Windows 10 64-bit.

5. larryslade

I installed the update yesterday. I cringe when I see an upgrade waiting because it seems these days there's a potential for problems created by the updates. Also, I do an update and restart and work on the laptop for awhile and when I go to shutdown there's more updates. I assume there's a reason but I'm not crazy about it. When you said get rid of Norton Internet Security did you mean just that app alone or get rid of Norton altogether? Thanks

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Uninstall Norton Internet Security in the "Programs And Features" list.

After that's done, use the Norton Remove And Reinstall Tool so it can find and remove any files and registry entries that were left over from the uninstall.

---------------------------------------------------------------

7. larryslade

I was in the process of removing Norton Internet Security when it got to a point that I thought I was going to get rid of Norton entirely. I called Norton Tech Support and the end result was the guy uninstalled Norton Internet Security. You were correct. I appreciate your assistance very much. Thanks

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I'm glad to hear a Norton rep didn't convince you to keep it installed or to upgrade to a newer version. (y)

Is your computer running any better without it?

9. larryslade

It's blazing along. I just did a speed test and it went as far right as it could in just a second. I was surprised the guy didn't fight me on it but I was going to insist it be done. I've used this forum many times over the years and this was the quickest fix I've had. Thank you very much.

10. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    :D :) (y)

---------------------------------------------------------------

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1231443

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice