1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 10 Suddenly Went Squirelly (technical term)

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by sandybeach2000, Feb 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sandybeach2000

sandybeach2000 Thread Starter

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit version 1803 build 17134.523
    Processor: AMD A8-6410 APU with AMD Radeon R5 Graphics, AMD64 Family 22 Model 48 Stepping 1
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 11199 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon(TM) R5 Graphics, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 930 GB (666 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard, 226A
    Antivirus: Avast Antivirus, Enabled and Updated
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Upon reboot, several things went wrong
    1. Start screen self-rearranged
    2. Several several start screen icons went AWOL
    3. Entire Start screen text menu disappeared. The only way to find some programs is to rummage through Program Files and Program Files(x86) and add them back to the Start Menu
    4. Programs display full-screen only; no screens can be resized or layered - until you've experienced this you have no idea how annoying it is. It's like going back to DOS 2.2
    Ideas on what happened?

Ideas on how to fix it?

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Update the graphics driver. Control Panel > Device Manager > Display Adapter > Right click on driver and choose Update

Do a disk check - File Explorer > C drive > Properties > Tools tab> Check button

3. sandybeach2000

I should have included:
    1. Ran CHKDSK: found and fixed ~ 650 indexes and security descriptors; in other words, repaired file system errors.
      Normally such problems wouldn't result in a semi-trashed system
    2. Ran SFC: fixed 1 corrupted system file (speechruntime.exe)
      That shouldn't cause wide-spread problems.
    Device manager found that display adapter is current.

Windows update said update is for ver 1809 (current installed is 1803). It also said it was last checked 6 hours ago. I'm running the update now

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

Lets see if the upgrade to 1809 fixes your problem also

5. sandybeach2000

The update took 6 hours and 2 reboots, Then it politely said that it was rolling back the changes ... and ... it rolled back the changes. My system still misbehaves and proudly announces that it is ver 1803.

"Duh-oh!"
    - H. Simpson

6. lunarlander

lunarlander

Backup your data files - docs, photo etc.
    Download MS Media Creation Tool and generate a DVD/USB memory stick.
    Boot the media and select Custom Install. Erase the C partition and let it use the unallocated space.

7. EarlLorenzo1

EarlLorenzo1

My Desktop also went "squirrelly" after a Windows update (2/23/19). By shear luck I was able to re-other the Desktop.

The next morning though my wife's computer went crazy (similar problem) . The task bar icons disappeared, and the start menu was in pieces. Her daily usage history appeared on the Desktop in icons. I was able to repair that. But I can't fix the start menu nor the programs and apps icons that have plagued the Desktop.

Before I post my problem, I wanted to check with you to see if you were successful. Were you able to find out what happened? Were you finally able to fix it?

I would appreciate your response.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1222853

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice