1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Windows 10 Takes Up How Much Space?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by timothycochran, Mar 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. timothycochran

timothycochran Thread Starter

First Name:
    Tim
    I want to do a backup to DVD of my Windows 10 system. Looking at the amount of space it is taking up on drive C surprised me. It says Windows 10 is 58 gb! I have had to do a reinstall of Windows 10 from a crash and the tech service guy I have freed up 32gb. It was all old Windows crap. I was wondering, with a recent install and minimal applications how it could take up so much space. If there is a way to get to the unused bloat, if any, hos do I do it? I am using an old desktop with a 75gb hard drive. I mainly use it only for viewing movies and Skype. Windows 10 runs great but I just can't imagine 58gb of space being used. Any thoughts?
    Thanks

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Windows 10 is running in an old desktop that has a 75 GB capacity hard drive?

What's the brand name and model name and model number of that desktop?

How exactly was Windows 10 reinstalled in it?

---------------------------------------------------------------

3. timothycochran

First Name:
    Tim
    I am sorry but I can't find any information about the Gateway Desktop I am using. I checked and all I can get is it is 64 bit, 3gb ram, 75gb hard drive and I installed Windows 10 from a bootable copy I think you directed me to. Already saved my butt once. Tech service, while trying to get my external USB hard drive to work uninstalled all my USB drivers. My keyboard and mouse are USB so when the system rebooted I couldn't sign in. Used the Windows 10 bootable copy and saved the day. Anyway, other than Gateway and a serial number I cannot read I only know it is an E series if that helps. Thank you for responding.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The Gateway "E" series desktops appear to have model numbers that range between E-1500 to E-6610Q.

That series desktop appears to have originally come with Windows XP or Windows Vista or Windows 7.

You don't see a readable SNID number or serial number(S/N) on yours?

-------------------------------------------------------------

5. timothycochran

First Name:
    Tim
    I'm sorry Frank but that is all the info I can find other than it is an E-66** model and came with Windows 7.
    Thanks for your interest!

6. davehc

davehc Retired Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    Have a look under C: and see if there is a folder called win.old, or windows.old. This is often the case, if you have elected to reinstall over the previous installation. This folder contains most of the material from your previous ODS and, if you have no use for it, can be deleted.
    If you are able to find it, it should, theoretically, almost half the used space on your disk.

7. timothycochran

First Name:
    Tim

I already uninstalled Windows.old and an old Windows directory. It gave me 32gb of space but I am still at 59gb and there just can't be that much stuff on C drive. Thanks for the tip though.

8. davehc

davehc Retired Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    Ok. One more thought. I believe Gatways, along with other computers, has a Factory Restore (hidden) partition. Have a look in Disk management and see if that is so in your case.

9. timothycochran

First Name:
    Tim

Nah, I have done away with any partitions to gain more room on the hard drive. There are a couple of small partitions at about 750mb and that's it. I know this old Gateway should be put out to pasture but I have a 24 inch monitor and Logitech surround with an Auzentech sound card and it is working perfectly with Windows 10. I hate to give up on this old beast as it has proved to be very bullet proof.
    Thanks

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1168715

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice