Windows 10 tries to update but restarts without updating

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

SeekingAssistance

I have been getting the blue box in the center of the screen that says Windows needs to shut down to update in 15 minutes. It asks if I want to shutdown now or wait 15 minutes, or wait 1 hour.

I had put it off for a while (clicking next hour), then finally decided to go ahead and get it over with. By the way, I always try to update as infrequently as possible (usually months) because I find it inconvenient and time consuming.

A few days ago, I finally decided to get it over with, and let it do the update. I couldn't remember how long it had been (until the 15 minutes), so I went to the start menu and clicked "Update and restart". It shut down, but came back up without doing any update.

I have since tried doing it by clicking OK on the blue box. I have tried taking the battery out (to force it to completely start over). No matter what I do, it still keeps showing me that blue box every hour.

I searched the internet and found this site, but was unable to find any specific instructions that pertain to my exact problem. I was not sure of the exact keywords to use, I tried things like "Windows 10 not updating", and those were all people with other issues but not mine. I also tried using the search feature of this forum.

If someone could please help me with this, I would appreciate it very much. I hope I included all of the information I should. I will put the information from the utility from this site, below:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 17134, Installed 20180608183433.000000-240
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-7100U CPU @ 2.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 142 Stepping 9, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 8 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 620, 1024 MB
Hard Drives: C: 917 GB (557 GB Free);
Motherboard: Dell Inc. 0J3PPW, ver A00, s/n /91BK6L2/CNWSC00839019I/
System: Dell Inc., ver DELL - 1072009, s/n 91BK6L2
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

Thank you in advance.

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Go to Settings > Update and Security > Troubleshoot. In this section, click on Windows Update to start the troubleshooting process and see if it helps.

SeekingAssistance

Go to Settings > Update and Security > Troubleshoot. In this section, click on Windows Update to start the troubleshooting process and see if it helps.
Thank you for your reply. I did not realize that it had a built-in troubleshooter.

I did that, and it found 3 things and fixed 2 of them.

Fixed:
Windows Update components must be repaired
Check for pending updates

Not fixed:
Potential Windows Update Database error detected

I ran the troubleshooter again and it did the same thing (except this time I skipped downloading the updates again, because I had already been through that routine). And it still says that about the Windows Update Database error detected.

So it appears that I have some type of a database error?

SeekingAssistance

You can try these steps to clear the SoftwareDistribution folder:
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-clear-softwaredistribution-folder-windows-10
Thank you. I went to that site and... a couple of the things they said were a little different for me, so I improvised. What I ended up doing was renaming the SoftwareDistribution folder as "_SoftwareDistribution" (underscore at beginning) and created a blank folder called "SoftwareDistribution", which the computer re-populated.

I don't want to get too excited yet, but I think the problem got fixed. It kept doing it until I shut down. Since I shut down, it has not done it. Further, the option of "Update and restart" is no longer on the start menu.

Yesterday the notification thing (I forget what it's called; it's near the clock) was still saying that it couldn't download my update (or something to that effect) but it looks like that is gone now. And most importantly, it is not prompting me with that blue box every hour. That was the main thing I urgently needed.

Let me take a couple of days to make sure this is really solved, and then I will come back and click the "solved" button at the top.

Although, by the way, what happens if I do that, and then it happens again? Can I "un-click" the solved button? Or should I re-post it? Or what should I do (per the procedure of this site) if that happens? (I read the rules, of course, and watched the video, but saw nothing regarding that specific dilemma.)

But thank you again. You and all of you who do this. Who help people with these kinds of problems. I would have had to spend, no telling how much (or possibly get a new computer) if not for you and this site. Thank you!

SeekingAssistance

I think it's fixed. I'm ready to click "Solved", except one thing.

If I click "Solved", and it happens again, what should I do? Does it lock the thread? If so, can I unlock it? Or should I start a new thread? Or what?

I apologize for my ignorance, and I appreciate the help. (I have another question about something unrelated, that I will post in the appropriate forum, but I wanted to get this handled first.)

Yes if someone could please answer that one question, I am ready to close this thread.

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Submit a new one as threads close after a certain amount of time being inactive. You can always refer to this thread but it will not be editable.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online