Windows 10 update error

mlmorris

I have a 32 bit HP Pavilion Touch Screen computer running Windows 10 Pro with Intel 2 GHz Core 2 Duo processor and 4 GB RAM.

When I turn it on (or reboot it), I see a message that it is attempting to install "updates" (I don't know if that means multiple updates of just one update).

However, after some period of time, the message changes to something on the order of "updates failed, removing updates."

When I view update history, I see one update that is listed as both "successfully installed" and "failed to install.":

2020-02 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1909 for x86-based System (KB4532693)
Failed to install on 3/13/2020 0x800f0845

2020-02 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1909 for x86-based System (KB4532693)
Successfully installed on 3/7/2020

However, when I try to uninstall the update , it is not listed in any of the uninstall listes.

I suspect that removing the offending update will solve my problem, but I don't see how to do that.

According to https://ugetfix.com/ask/how-to-fix-windows-update-error-0x800f0845-on-windows-10/:

"Although the Error Code 0x800f0845 falls into the category of Windows 10 update errors, it’s not a regular one. It means that it cannot be fixed by resetting Windows Update components or restarting Windows update service."

Does anyone have any suggestions? A search of this forum was unsuccessful.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
We need more information about your HP Pavilion touchscreen computer, so please do the following in it:

Download and save the tsginfo.exe file.
After it's been downloaded and saved, double-click it to run it.
Information about your computer will appear.
Return here to your thread, then copy-and-paste the ENTIRE text here.

-------------------------------------------------

mlmorris

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 32 bit, Build 18363, Installed 20190829172832.000000-360
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5800 @ 2.00GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 13, CPU Count: 2
Total Physical RAM: 4 GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9300M GS, 256 MB
Hard Drives: C: 297 GB (226 GB Free);
Motherboard: PEGATRON CORPORATION Maureen, ver 1.03, s/n X312345678
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver HPQOEM - 20090724, s/n MXV9380310
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
You appear to have a 2009 era HP laptop.
What is its model name and exact model number(M/N)?

Its Windows 10 Pro Version 1909 Build 18363 32-bit operating system appears to be about 6 months out of date.

cpu.JPG gpu.JPG

mlmorris

Model name: HP Pavilion TouchSmart
Model Number: VA284AV-ABAIQ546t

The OS may very well be out of date - I haven't been able to get it ti update.

mlmorris

You appear to have a HP Pavilion Touchsmart IQ546t Desktop PC (VA284AV#ABA)
It was introduced in June 2009 and appears to have come with Windows Vista Home Premium or Business or Ultimate 64-bit.

View attachment 281059

Sorry, I don't understand the purpose, if any, of this post.

I know what I have, and I don't need the model number repeated back to me.

Whatever OS the computer started with, it is now running Windows 10 Pro, as the tsginfo utility detected, and the Control Panel/System window displays.

Is this message a way to say that, despite all the info supplied to this thread, that no one can offer potential solutions to my problem?

mlmorris

Results of SFC:

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them. For online repairs, detaails are included in the CBS log file located at windir\logs\cbs/cbs.log. For example C:\windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOG flag.

Results of DISM;

The restore operation completed successfully.
The operation completed successfully

However, this did not solve the problem. When I rebooted, I saw:

Preparing Automatic Repair

Your PC did not start correctly

I selected "Advanced Options" and then:

"Continue"
"Exit and continue to Windows 10"

Eventually, this message was displayed:

"We couldn't complete the updates"
"Undoing changes"

After a lengthy wait (I did not time it), Windows started.

When I checked the update history, the same 2 updates, one supposedly successfully installed and the other failed to install were still listed.

Any other ideas?

mlmorris

I tried to permanently disable automatic updates using the Group Policy Editor (from https://www.windowscentral.com/how-stop-updates-installing-automatically-windows-10):

1. Open Start.

2. Search for gpedit.msc and select the top result to launch the Group Policy Editor.

3. Navigate to the following path:

Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update

4. Double-click the Configure Automatic Updates policy on the right side.

5. Check the Disabled option to turn off the policy.

6. Click the Apply button.

7. Click the OK button.

That did not solve the problem

mlmorris

After running out of patience, and reaching my maximum frustration level, I decided to Reset the computer (Keep Files).

Normally, I wouldn't recommend that option because it removes applications, but I didn't have a lot installed so I decided to go ahead with the Reset.

That solved the problem.

Then I went to the Windows Update window to check for and install any missing updates. There were 5, including the update to version 2004.

So far so good.

Perhaps it was one of those installed applications that caused the problem, and not a Windows Update failure.

I may find out, because I intend to re-install at least some (maybe all) of the applications that were removed.

After the Reset I once again set the Group Policy for Windows Updates to "Disable", and I also used the "Group Policy" to disable Cortana, and I set all the Privacy settings to where I wanted them.

A note of caution:

All this effort takes a great deal of time. I have spent the better part of a day working these issues.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online