1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Windows 10 update from v1803 to v1809

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ozziebeanie, Dec 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ozziebeanie

ozziebeanie Thread Starter

First Name:
    Serena
    AS the heading says, I am having a problem updating Windows 10 - from v1803 to v1809

Using Windows 10 update assistant

Computer – Sony Vaio (all in one) – SSD – 64Bit

This Computer UEFI – Other two notebooks are Legacy boot and update without a problem, would this make a difference?

Update cycle proceeds without incident up to the point when a restart becomes necessary > click on “restart now” and goes through the reboot process to 52% and stops; throws up this notice below -

(Windows could not configure one or more system components.
    To install windows, restart the computer and restart the installation)

Then it goes into the “undoing changes made to you computer” process.

Failed installation is NOT reflected in Windows Update History and consequently no error code ID is available.
    No information on what the problem is and is not indicated anywhere in the whole endeavour.

Could only recently updating to version 1803 be a problem, as in not enough time past from one update and the next

Any pointers in the right direction would be much appreciated

Cheers

Serena

As requested above, below is technical specifications

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3610QM CPU @ 2.30GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 8159 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 620M, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 408 GB (178 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Sony Corporation, VAIO
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Do a backup of your data files.

Do a Windows Update and then retry the upgrade again.

3. ozziebeanie

First Name:
    Serena
    Sorry my bad, did not mention that we had done this already, thanks for answering though Lunarlander

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

If you have already done a backup of your data, then you can try a 'clean' install. Boot with the Windows DVD, choose Custom and delete all partitions, then let setup continue using the un-allocated space.

5. ozziebeanie

First Name:
    Serena
    I can not use a DVD as i updated to Windows 10 when it WAS free to update to when i had Windows 7 on it, and updated from there, the two notebooks have been no problem to update to the later version of windows 10 but the all in one VAIO obviously from this post is not updating, I have to rely on current image if something goes wrong but it will not continue to update to the later version, as the notebooks have done, thanks for answering Lunarlander

6. lunarlander

lunarlander

You CAN use a Windows DVD, even with a Custom install to wipe everything ( of course you have to backup your data first ) . That is because MS remembers your hardware configuration and automatically recognize it when you try to re-activate again.

7. ozziebeanie

First Name:
    Serena
    Will that solve future updates to following versions? or for some reason will i have to do the same again?, thanks Lunarlander

8. lunarlander

lunarlander

The best way to update to a future version of Win 10 is to go download MS Media Creation Tool. Use it to generate a DVD/USB stick. Backup all your data files. Then boot with the media and choose Custom Install, then deleting the C partition and System partition. Then let it install on the un-allocated space.

So the current version of Win 10 is v1809.

9. ozziebeanie

First Name:
    Serena
    Thanks Lunarlander, yes that is the version that it is trying to up date to, will marked this as solved and try out those things, i will get my dad to try, thanks

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1221084

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice