Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Windows 10 updates trashing my network

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Macboatmaster 
#1 ·
Every so often (just after Windows updates) my domestic network ceases to function and the troubleshooter doesn't fix it. This has happened maybe a dozen times now and every time it seems impossible to diagnose the fault, I just have to start again from scratch. This is driving me mad, does anyone have any ideas as to what is going on or do I have to disable Windows updates?

#4 ·
My top suspect is that Windows is installing an incorrect network driver. Make sure the correct driver is installed, make a note of the version/date, and when the network fails check to see if there is a different installed driver.

#5 ·
Sorry for the delay responding but my wife is unwell just now. I think there was a misunderstanding - I don't have to reinstall W10, I have to rebuild my network.
The troubleshooter now is saying 'windows can't automatically detect this network's proxy settings'.
I am getting this message on my two W10 machines.

#8 ·
I am not sure, if this point is clear to me
Every so often (just after Windows updates) my domestic network ceases to function and the troubleshooter doesn't fix it.
Please clarify for me if you mean the internet connection to the two Windows 10 computers (file sharing in general terms) through your modem/router ceases to work, whilst each of the computers can still individually access the internet
OR do all connections fail on occasions after updates.

This may assist you to clarify for me what you mean exactly
https://www.tenforums.com/network-s...rk-after-windows-update-replacing-router.html

The problem you appear to have can be caused by some AntiVirus programs

#9 ·
I have got the 2 W10 machines connected again, thank you. I also have an XP machine which I haven't had time to check out yet.
They all connect to router by ethernet cable and work fine but every so often after a Windows update I am losing network file sharing but they still connect to Internet.
Hopefully tomorrow I'll get the XP running and let you all know the state of play. This is a most annoying problem as it recurrs so often. Thanks guys for all your help.

#10 ·
I thought that was the problem rather then the computers not actually connecting to the Internet
On the latest version of 10 file sharing set up as was is no longer available - please see this

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4092694/windows-10-file-sharing-over-a-network

and this
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/111783-share-files-folders-over-network-windows-10-a.html

read the instructions on the first page and then if you look at post 28 although that was Vista I think the same will work with XP

#12 ·
If you are happy that is OK
I am reasonably certain I can get that aspect working for you if you wish
Pleased to have helped

#14 ·
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.