1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 10 upgrade sound issues

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Wally203, Feb 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Wally203

Wally203 Thread Starter

Hi, I updated to Windows 10 and ever since I have had a serious issue across all apps with sound distortion, crackling and popping, and even speed variation. I have done everything imaginable to address the issue and seem to have improved it some by updating my audio drivers which took me hours to figure out. The problem persists and I basically have a pc to listen to music. Please help!

2. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

Hey Wally203.....what's the brand/make/model of PC/laptop you have?

This is the big misconception with windows 10. Even though it's a free upgrade for a "Qualifying" OS....doesn't mean that one's hardware or OEM vendor supports it....via drivers and proprietary software.

3. Wally203

Wally203 Thread Starter

Toshiba Satellite L755-S5214. It is not listed as compatible on Toshiba's site but Toshiba Tech Support assured me it was but wanted at least $70 for a warranty to perform what he said was an easy fix.

4. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

If it's not listed then it's not supported....you can bet your last dollar on that. If you can...I would revert it back to windows 7. Now the million dollar question is: How long has it been since you upgraded....more than 30 days?

5. Wally203

Wally203 Thread Starter

It has been less than 1 day but from what I have read reverting back to Windows 7 will not necessarily fix the issue.

6. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

It might and might not....but at least this way...you can reinstall the correct drivers to actually fix the issue.

7. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

In a situation like yours...with no actual drivers to install....windows 10 is using it's own generic drivers, which may or may not work. In you case it's not working correctly as incorrect drivers do. They can manifest issues of all kinds and sometimes brick a system all together.

8. Wally203

Wally203 Thread Starter

I am angry and disappointed to say the least as the Windows "Check My PC" function assured me it is compatible as did Toshiba tech support. How do I find the right drivers now once I rollback?

9. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

All that "Check my PC" does is test your hardware's compatibility for use with the OS. Which is a false positive as far as I'm concerned. Again...it's the vendor's responsibility to create drivers for said hardware and in this case it's Toshiba.

Once you roll back the issue should correct itself because it already has the correct drivers for that OS. In the event it doesn't, go back to Toshiba's website for your model and download said driver(s).

We kept seeing this over and over....and some MS MVP's are questioning their MVP leads on why is MS not better informing users about this. Bottom line is, most users don't check. Which brings us right back to windows 10 and how it automatically looks for and installs drivers for the user without the user evening knowing. This is the biggest reason why I'm not using windows 10 now as my primary OS....simply because I can't control what downloads I want to keep and what I don't want to keep. I'll stay with windows 8.1 Pro...until I have no choice but to use it.....2023

10. Wally203

Wally203 Thread Starter

I appreciate all the feedback but Microsoft screwed me. Their tech support that remotely accessed my pc last night created an admin account tied to my account, so when I try to go back to Windows 7 it constantly say to delete extra accounts added since the update. Since there is only one account it cannot be deleted so they tell me after 7 hours and 4 different tech support people, two of which hung up and disconnected remote access when they couldn't figure it out. So final tech support guy says only option now is a complete reinstall of Windows 7 from disc, which I found but I do not have the service key.

11. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

You can use Belarc, MagicJelly Bean or my personal favorite ProduKey...

12. Wally203

Wally203 Thread Starter

I figured out exactly what the issue is if you are interested. The geniuses at Toshiba have the wifi and audio sharing drivers, so once I plugged in the Ethernet cable and everything sounds fine. I suspect it would also sound fine offline. Never again will I buy a Toshiba.

13. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

I've never heard of that and that's just crazy! Well atleast you got it sorted.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1165526

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice