1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 10 Upgrade to windows 10 pro help please

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by michellegr60, Jun 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. michellegr60

michellegr60 Thread Starter

I have recently purchased an
    ACER Aspire XC-230 Desktop PC that has Windows 10 home preinstalled. I need to upgrade this to Windows 10 pro for work purposes. I have uninstalled Windows 10 home and I have a Windows 10 installation media which when using normally gives me the option of which Windows to install (home, pro, education etc). I have used this media to reinstall Windows 10 pro however after formatting the drive it does not give me an option to install pro it simple automatically installs Windows 10 home again which is activated automatically. I have also tried the default key to switch from home to pro which does not work. I do not have a product key for Windows 10 pro yet. I just wish to get pro installed first and I will activate later.

Is there a way to do this without a product code? Any help and advice welcome.

Thanks

2. Paul23

Paul23 Temporarily Banned

First Name:
    Paul
    Yes. You can install without the code. But, you, of course, will not be getting updates. Here is how to properly format the drive with powershell. This is the best method I have found for formatting a drive.
    type powershell: (wait until the blue box pops up that says "powershell" right click on the blue area and select "run as administrator" click "yes"
    type :
    Get-Disk

Get-Disk 0 | Clear-Disk -RemoveData (Disk 0 is an example, your drive letter might be different)

Initialize-Disk 0

New-Partition -DiskNumber 0 -UseMaximumSize | Format-Volume -FileSystem NTFS -NewFileSystemLabel Archive (Archive is the name I chose for the file...choose whatever you want)

Get-Partition -DiskNumber 0 | Set-Partition -NewDriveLetter Z (disk Z is the letter I chose for my drive letter. You can choose any open letter that's not being used)

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I'm guessing you actually have an Acer Aspire AXC-230 Desktop PC which came with Windows 10 Home 64-bit pre-installed in it.
    What's the exact SNID number and serial number on yours?

You cannot do an "upgrade" install of Windows 10 Home 64-bit to Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.
    You need to do a "clean" install of Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.
    Unfortunately, it will not self-activate because it originally came with Home instead of Pro.

---------------------------------------------------------------

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    As you have discovered the pre-installed version will install, even doing a "clean" install, because of the Windows Product Key stored in a chip in the motherboard.

The way to install Windows 8.1 Pro when Windows 8.1 Home was pre-installed is as follows. Perhaps Microsoft has not changed the procedure in Windows 10. You will not be able to install without a Product Key.

Control Panel - Add features to Windows 10 - either buy a Product Key for Pro or select "I already have a product key" - continue (it's been too long for me to remember the exact steps, but you'll figure it out if you get this far).

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1211405

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice