1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 10 Upgrade

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by franicelcha, May 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. franicelcha

franicelcha Thread Starter

Hi

I am considering upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 7 in the not too distant future. Here are a few questions that popped in my mind:

1- What is the difference between opting to install with a Microsoft account or just ignoring this step ? Am I better off to go with a Microsoft account or not ? I do have a Microsoft account which I very very seldom used. All my stuff is with Google (Mail, Drive, Calendar etc..)

2-What about Cortana ? What does it really do ? Should I go with it or not ?

3-What about drivers ? Which drivers will I have to install separately ? My PC is an office PC that does not have a video card. I'm going with the onboard video built in the chip. Will Windows take care of all drivers ?

Thanks
    Chip: Intel i3-4150
    Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H
    Ram: 16GB G.Skills (4 x 4GB)
    PSU: Seasonic MII 520
    Drives: Samsung 850 evo 250GB + 2 WD 1TB Blue for data

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

1. Microsoft account allows use of Store - on latest windows 10 versions local account does not
    2. Reset of password on Microsoft account should for some reason the local account password be forgotten is easy
    3. Microsoft account of course allows access to all windows etc devices and easy sync between each
    4. Re- Activation following major hardware change is easy on Microsoft account
    Read more here
    https://www.howtogeek.com/121975/htg-explains-microsoft-accounts-vs.-local-accounts-in-windows-8/

Cortana
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/17214/windows-10-what-is
    inbuilt into 10 but you can turn off
    However it is changing all the time and on the latest 10 providing the computer will enable it Cortana can be used to control home devices
    https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/windows-10-april-2018-update-what-you-need-to-know/

Drivers
    10 will install more or less all
    You may have to update some from the motherboard site
    or for attached hardware
    Generally once installed and running 10 will update drivers - NOT always correctly it has to be said
    Updates and that includes drivers are automatic and cannot be turned off -

When last checked the free update is still working - from 7- my advice is to image your present drive and try it now

123Zbyniek likes this.
  3. franicelcha

Thanks a lot my friend

A good evening to you !!! (I am in EDT time zone). it is now 6:42 PM

4. Macboatmaster

If you are going to try, post when you have whatever you wish saved from your present drive, preferably an image of the drive - on another drive and then I will provide the guide to upgrading to 10

5. franicelcha

I was going to use this as a guide, as it seems quite detailed. https://www.tomshardware.com/news/how-to-do-clean-installation-windows-10,36160.html

If you have something other than that, feel free to provide it if you wish. I will certainly look at it when the time comes for my upgrade. I intend to go for a clean install of Windows 10.

It was my intention to create an image of my drive C with Macrium Reflect just before doing the upgrade. Drive C only contains my OS and my programs. All my data (photos, spreadsheets, documents etc...) is stored on separate drives in my PC. So, that will not be affected by the upgrade. It is also my intention to disconnect all drives other than the boot drive before I proceed.

I am not quite ready to proceed yet since I am only in the planning stage. I want to make sure I do not forget anything. I want this transition from Windows 7 to Windows 10 to be as smooth and as painless as possible.

Thank you

Regards

6. Macboatmaster

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I can confirm the Here's How: method in the above TenForums webpage link still worked 3 weeks ago.
    Make sure to follow the 12 steps carefully and correctly.

If Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit is currently installed, you should be able to clean install and activate Windows 10 Home 64-bit.
    If Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate SP1 64-bit is currently installed, you should be able to clean install and activate Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

--------------------------------------------------------------

8. franicelcha

Thanks to both of you. I am still not clear about that Microsoft account. I have one but hardly ever use it. My live.com email address is not the one I use. The one I use is a Google Apps account made up of [email protected]. Myfamilyname.org is a domain I registered back in 2010.

If I create a Microsoft account with the email [email protected], does that mean that I will have to use this Microsoft account to send and receive emails using the Microsoft interface ? I do not want to do that. I want to keep doing the things I do (receiving and sending emails) with the Google Apps Interface. Would this not create confusion for me ?

You see, I do not have a smart phone or Android phone, I have no tablet either. All I have is an old fashion flip phone that only makes and receives calls. I am retired, built my own PC back in 2014 (which btw works super well). I have no facebook or twitter account. The only device I have is my desktop PC. There is no need really to sync anything. But, should I change my mind and get a smartphone or Android phone one day, would I be able to add a Microsoft account at a later date ? The more I read these articles that you provided (plus other ones), the more confused I get.

Thanks again for your help. I really appreciate it.

9. Macboatmaster

In that case just create the local account
    The Microsoft account is fully explained on the link I sent

Yes you can add a Microsoft account later

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1210771

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice