Windows 10 very slow and unresponsive on a newly built PC

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

gplemons

Hello!

I have built a new pc with all new components but 1, the SSD.

I wiped it clean and did a fresh install with official windows installer and a key supplied by my university.

Windows 10 was very sluggish and slow. It would take an eternity to complete a process and it would freeze up constantly. It almost seems like it's random. When i opened the windows update center and pressed check for updates it pretty much froze the entire pc for example. Hovering over the buttons with mouse cursor would still display visual effects but they would not respond or would respond with huge delay.

Sometimes when i would restart the PC windows 10 would be very quick and responsive. But after doing a simple task such as checking for updates or moving a file from HDD to SSD it would be very slow and frozen again. When its frozen its usually just the window that started the slowdown, while the rest seem unaffected. However interacting with other windows and apps can make them freeze too.

I don't understand it as i havent installed anything on my latest reinstall of Windows 10 and the problem still persists. I only have the basic apps and didnt even download anything new on the current reinstall of windows 10.

Components are as such:

Ryzen 5 1600 AF

Gigabyte Aorus M B450

Sapphire 5600 XT Pulse

16 GB DDR4 HyperX RAM

240GB Kingston A400 SSD

1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Anyone has any suggestions on how to fix this? Thanks!

peterh40

Peter
1. Check that your drivers for hardware is installed and up to date - see Device Manager.
2. Run disk defragmenter on your hard disk to improve disk performance.
3. Use Task Manager, Resource Monitor to check for bottlenecks in your system.
4. Use MsConfig to check for any unwanted background tasks or services running.

gplemons

1. Check that your drivers for hardware is installed and up to date - see Device Manager.
2. Run disk defragmenter on your hard disk to improve disk performance.
3. Use Task Manager, Resource Monitor to check for bottlenecks in your system.
4. Use MsConfig to check for any unwanted background tasks or services running.
Hi!

I did update all the devices on the device manager, and it kinda helped. After restart the things were better but it still lagged and froze occasionally but much less now.

Im not sure what to do in msconfig. Do i choose normal startup?
In resource manager everthing is chill and not spiking. When moving files the hard disk wasnt even at 100% it was up to 80% or so.

I installed amd drivers and adrenaline software, steam and google chrome prior to restart. Nothing else.

While the is an improvement it still lags sometimes despite it being blazingly quick when its not lagging.

Still thanks for your help! If you have any idea how to improve upon this further it would be greatly appreciated!

Try removing the HDD
try pulling one stick of ram
Then try the other
You did load windows on the ssd
(When the hdd was not connected??)

gplemons

Try removing the HDD
try pulling one stick of ram
Then try the other
You did load windows on the ssd
(When the hdd was not connected??)
I did install the windows on ssd prior to the installation of hdd itself. Same story. I installed hdd and reinstalled windows again on the ssd with the same result.
I think my ssd is bad or something is messing with ssd. Ill install windows on hdd and see if that helps.

gplemons

If you suspect on SSD, first thing to do is check Windows isntallation:
https://forums.techguy.org/threads/using-the-sfc-and-dism-to-repair-windows-10.1235557

Let us know how it turns out, are there errors/warnings/fixes with these commands?
result should be clean on fresh system.
Hi

The SSD was faulty.
I purchased a new ssd and everything works fine now. Installation took 10 mins not 2 hours. No stalling and utilisation is almost always below 100 and windows is running snappy.

This problem is solved, though thank you on you kind help, and thanks to anyone putting their time into my problem!

Cheers!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online