Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Windows 10 Volume Level not working for 1 application

519 views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  Stephank 
#1 ·
Firstly. There are a ton of references to this problem on the internet. None of the workarounds or solutions have worked; if they did I wouldn't be posting asking for help.
This is not a driver issue. The problem is specific to 1 piece of software. Just not the s/w itself.
I have contacted the s/w manufacturer, they assure me there is nothing wrong with their s/w, and explained that their program allows windows to manage the audio levels, just like every other program.

Each time I launch the s/w, the volume slider is set to 100%. I drag it down. Close the program. Open. 100% again.
- Any manner and combination of lowering the volume, closing the program, rebooting PC has no effect. The volume for this program always is set to 100%. Until I change it...and it stays until I reboot or close the program and relaunch it.
- Done the registry hacks for volume (LowRegistry\Audio\PolicyConfig\PropertyStore) : No effect
- installed and configured audio with MS Eat Trumpet: No effect
- used utility appaudioconfig x64 - initially it found a value for the program. Modified parameters. No Effect
- deleted the string in appaudioconfig. Now it doesn't show up, but the behaviour is still the same . Always launches to 100%

There has to be a way to write this value for volume so that it sticks.

See less See more
#3 ·
That's what I thought at first. Un-characteristically for a s/w-h/w company they are very attentive to their customers. In looking up this issue, I noted that many people have this issue. And, it is not specific to the same piece of s/w I'm having issues with. Discord, Foobar, and a host of others different from the s/w I'm
using are experiencing the issue. This isn't my first lap around the block with Windows audio. Prior to posting , I have been ( or at least tried to be) pretty exhaustive about solving it myself. For me to even post this , means I'm hitting a wall with regard to options.

I see two scenarios:
1 - specific software is writing a value for volume. If so, where? I don't see this as actually happening, but including it just the same.
(vendor insists that no unusual programming exists with this s/w .There are as far as I can see no config files referenced by the s/w that relate to any audio handling.)

2 - Windows is not writing (re-writing) the value . So, where does windows store this value? I've already attempted the registry modifications discovered elsewhere.

Going to need a deeper dive than just " its the s/w..."

And, this is a fresh install of Win10 - with exactly the same file for the application as was installed previously. Which, incidentally worked as expected. Lower volume, it stays lowered.

S~

#4 ·
Hmmm . . . guess I failed to interpret your "The problem is specific to 1 piece of software" statement correctly.

If it was me I'd simply restore my last backup when everything was working correctly. Takes maybe 30-45 minutes or so and I'm back in business.

Macrium Reflect Free

#5 ·
Hmmm . . . guess I failed to interpret your "The problem is specific to 1 piece of software" statement correctly.
No, probably not - it was a fair guess. For me it was 1 app, for others it was one or more apps, just not the same one. LOL.
If it was me I'd simply restore my last backup when everything was working correctly. Takes maybe 30-45 minutes or so and I'm back in business.
Unfortunately I don't have that option, as it has acted this way since installation of OS and this S/W... there was no "known good" to go back to....

#6 ·
Next step then would be to try and repair Windows 10.

To do this you need to "upgrade" Windows -- I know, sounds weird --, using the same edition of Windows that's already installed. This "upgrade" requires Windows 10 installation media, which you can obtain using Microsoft's free Media Creation Tool.

Download the correct Windows 10 ISO and then double-click it to mount it as a virtual drive. (Or if you prefer, you can create a bootable USB flash drive, open that removable drive in File Explorer and double-click "Setup" to begin the process).

When it asks if you want to download updates, recommend selecting "Yes" to avoid potential problems.

When prompted what you want to keep --[Important]-- choose "Keep personal files and apps".

Now simply follow the prompts to finish setup.

After a couple restarts, you'll have a refreshed installation of Windows 10, with your programs, apps, and settings all intact.

--

Support.Microsoft.com > Recovery options in Windows 10

#7 ·
Next step then would be to try and repair Windows 10.
Uninstalled the software and re-installed. No change
Ran SFC /SCANNOW. Corrupted files found. Replaced.
Reboot
Same issue.

#9 ·
#10 ·
Try a Clean Boot. If everything is working fine now you can keep it this way or, you can add one Startup item and/or Service at a time and reboot. Repeat this process until the problem reappears and you willl have found your culprit.

#11 ·
Just curious. What is the name of this software? Free download or paid? I went back and read the whole thing and I didn't notice any name. I occasionally have volume issues with my ancient laptop using Windows 10 Home edition. I like to keep volume at 50-60% on taskbar. When I launch auido/video program such as iTunes, VLC I notice that their volume level is slightly different than what taskbar shows. Not much though. I just use the program's volume bar for higher or lower sound.
It looks like reinstalling Windows didn't help. Perhaps, there is some conflict between Windows and your software. Running system information utility (https://forums.techguy.org/help/links/ ) and the name of software should help to others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.