1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 10 will not boot from cloned drive

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Gids, Jul 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gids

Gids Thread Starter

First Name:
    JOSEPH
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 16228 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti, -1 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 238 GB (187 GB Free); E: 476 GB (270 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., Z97X-Gaming 7
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated
    The procedure that I am following since I upgraded to Windows 10 is the same procedure that I followed when using Window 7. When I upgraded to Windows 10, I also upgraded my cloning software (CASPER) to their latest Windows 10 version. I have my operating system on a 250 GB SSD. I clone this SSD to another 250 GB SSD. The software indicates that the process was successful. While both SSD's are mounted, (original SSD is drive c:/ and Cloned SSD is drive f:/) I check their contents and their contents are identical. When I remove the original SSD and replace it with the cloned SSD, windows will not boot and I get a message telling me the the disk needs to be repaired. This never happened when I was using Windows 7. After many hours of researching the problem, I've just about given up trying the solve the problem. I've read that users of other cloning software products have experienced the same problem. I've read that Microsoft changed the boot process in Window 10. They have split the boot record. When you boot, the system looks into a "hidden" file and then gets directed to the boot record. But this problem can't be affecting everyone using Windows 10. If everyone was being affected, Microsoft would be hearing about it. So what is different about my system, that is causing this problem? If my original SSD and cloned SSD contain the same data, how does Windows 10 know the difference? Again, I used this system for years with Windows 7; and never had a problem. Thank you ....

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    You may have to make the clone again but this time when it's finished shutdown at once and swap the SSD drives but leave just the clone connected and boot from it. If it works you can then re-connect the cloned (original) drive if you wish. You make a clone of the whole drive of course.

It's best to have other hard drives and/or SSD drives disconnected when you make the clone.

When both cloned and clone are connected at the same time the one that boots matches a 'drive ID' on the drive with entries in the registry. The problem is it sees the 'other drive' has the same drive ID as the C drive so it assigns C to the non-booting drive and gives itself a different drive letter but all the registry entries still use C so the system gets confused.

3. Gids

Gids Thread Starter

First Name:
    JOSEPH
    Thank you for your quick response. I always do what you are suggesting. Once SSD c:/ is cloned to SSD F:/ , I shut down the PC. I take out SSD c:/ and replace it with the cloned SSD. Windows 10 will not boot. Because of the problem, that's when I put the original SSD back in its original slot; and then put the cloned SSD in the slot it was in when it was being cloned. I powered up the PC and it booted up normally. I was then able to look at both SSD's and compare their contents. As I said - they were identical. It is definitely a problem introduced by Windows 10 - because I never had this problem when I was using Windows 7. There has to be a way to resolve this problem; but I don't know what else to do.

4. Lanctus

Lanctus

If it is not booting to Windows from the cloned drive, and all other files are identical, I would look at the boot partition. That will make or break getting into the OS. You were correct when you stated that MS changed things around with Windows 10, as Windows 10 uses UEFI to boot the Windows Boot Manager. Get into the BIOS menu on your original, and compare where it is booting from vs where your clone is booting from. Are both booting from the Windows Boot Manager?

5. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    If still not booting from the clone try connecting the clone drive to the same Sata port the source drive used when you made the clone.

6. replay

replay

Make a repair dvd/ usb on the working ssd within the bootable Windows
    Then change over ssd
    Then boot with the repair usb/ dvd

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1212530

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice