Windows 11 - need help fixing repeated icon cache corruption

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Rbt

Since moving from Win 10 to Win 11 (Home) on Alienware PC, the icon cache is corrupted after every restart, replacing most icons on desktop and in folders with black squares. I have sometimes been (but no longer) able to fix by going to C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local and deleting the hidden iconcache db file and restarting - or (still works) going to C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer and moving iconcache items to the "iconcache to be deleted" system folder - but after any subsequent restart the problem returns.

I need hand-holding support to determine the cause and properly fix this problem.

Thanks,

Last edited:

LauraMJ

Administrator
Rbt, I've edited out your email address from your post. We can't provide support via email, and you'll get a lot of spam by having it in the post, so it's best to remove it.

Reactions: Rbt

Rbt

[note revision]

Since moving from Win 10 to Win 11 (Home) on Alienware PC, the icon cache is corrupted after every restart, replacing most icons on desktop and in folders with black squares. I have sometimes been (but am no longer) able to fix by going to C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local and deleting the hidden iconcache db file and restarting - or (still works) going to C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer and moving all iconcache items to the "iconcache to be deleted" system folder - but after any subsequent restart the problem always returns.

I need hand-holding support to determine the cause and properly fix this problem.

Thanks,

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online