Windows 11 - Tomorrow Is The Big Day

crjdriver

I am making the install usb and I will test it on my "unsupported" first gen ryzen system. That system is currently running a pre-release version. It will be interesting to see IF updates are allowed.

lochlomonder

Colin
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Let's hope that users make a complete backup of their system before doing an in-place upgrade.
As in all things IT-related, this famous quote from Ben Franklin comes to mind: "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

Or run it in a virtual machine until you are ready to take the plunge.

Here I have two VMs open at the same time.
#1 Windows 11 Pro (release version)
#2 Windowsfx (Linux clone of Windows 11)

Note I am using Hyper-V with Windows 10 Pro
1633441260241.jpeg

crjdriver

Going to shutdown the test system and install the release version of 11.

crjdriver

Well, looks like it activated itself without me doing anything AND updates are available. Setup also installed a video driver for my amd 470 card while finishing setup.

Attachments

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
This happens when I go into "Settings - Updates & Security" in Windows 10 Pro Version 21H1 64-bit in my 3 Dell OptiPlex 9020 minitowers.
I was expecting it to happen because they have a 4th generation Intel processor and are not capable of installing TPM 2.0.

It also happens in my Dell Precision 3620 minitower.
It has TPM 2.0 installed, but it has a 6th generation Intel processor.

From what I've read, Microsoft requires a 7th or 8th generation or newer processor and TPM 2.0 installed.
I don't plan anyway to install Windows 11 in any of these PC's.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:

lochlomonder

Colin
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I've had several of our users ask me already today when they're going to get Win 11. They weren't too pleased when I told them, "Not anytime soon," but that's just too bad. We have multiple systems we support, and none of them have been tested to ensure they work properly in Win 11. Moreover, we likely have quite a few workstations out there that won't be supported, so they can wait until our next hardware update cycle.

Johnny b

John
Interesting article at Ars:

Windows 11: The Ars Technica review
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/10/windows-11-the-ars-technica-review/
excerpt:
Microsoft is releasing a brand-new version of Windows that isn't even supported on computers more than 3 or 4 years old. "Windows Everywhere" was ambitious, but the dream is dead. Microsoft has shifted its focus to providing solid versions of its apps on iOS and Android, and even Microsoft's modern-day phones run a Microsoft-flavored version of Android rather than anything Windows-related. The new version of Windows is more preoccupied with the places where Windows already is and is likely to stay—risk-averse, money-rich, security-conscious businesses.

crjdriver

I've had several of our users ask me already today when they're going to get Win 11. They weren't too pleased when I told them, "Not anytime soon," but that's just too bad. We have multiple systems we support, and none of them have been tested to ensure they work properly in Win 11. Moreover, we likely have quite a few workstations out there that won't be supported, so they can wait until our next hardware update cycle.
At the airline where I used to work, we were always at least two and very often three versions/updates behind the cutting edge. We had very specific custom software that had to be tested, certified by the FAA, etc so updating when the latest version came out was a VERY long process.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Windows 11 was released still containing a lot of bugs, so it's going to take a lot of time to remedy them.
In the meanwhile, I'll stick with Windows 7 and Windows 10.

-------------------------------------------------

Johnny b

John
Win 11 simply isn't an issue for me.
My computers are too old, I've committed to using Win 7 offline and a distro of Linux online.
They serve my needs and see no advantage to investing in new equipment just to view a new operating system.

But I am curious as to the direction MS is leading us.
Who knows, I might want to rejoin in the future.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts