Windows 11 - Tomorrow Is The Big Day

crjdriver

Well, I went ahead and installed on my personal system. All went well and it was 8min from booting with the usb to the windows desktop. Should be another hour or so to install drivers, office, games, data, etc.

Drabdr

Brad
My two laptops are too old I guess. :D Microsoft provided the PC check application in the Updates section, and it said my processor won't work with Windows 11.

I am torn. The Windows 10 laptops are OK. But I also know it takes me a while to... break in a laptop.. So I'm juggling waiting it out or going ahead and buying a new one.

crjdriver

Brad you do understand that you can clean install with a win11 install usb. My test system is running an unsupported processor and it works fine. I am even receiving windows updates [at least for now]

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I agree but despite the fact you can - as a clean install will circumvent the requirements, as indeed the Insider install did not require TPM 2.0 the warning from Microsoft is quite clear
Download Windows 11 (microsoft.com)

• WARNING: Installing Windows 11 media on a PC that does not meet the Windows 11 minimum system requirements is not recommended and may result in compatibility issues. If you proceed with installing Windows 11 on a PC that does not meet the requirements, that PC will no longer be supported and won't be entitled to receive updates. Damages to the PC due to lack of compatibility aren't covered under the manufacturer warranty.
It is not a question of warranty - in this case, I am sure, but - if it does not meet the requirments I am positive that whilst some updates may be offered, ina very short space of time, system updates will not, as I cannot see Microsoft writing updates for system that are unsupported.

At the VERY least a full image of what you have NOW is vital to return to as is, in case you find that you have problems OR indeed an unsupported
OS which MUST be a retrograde step.

OK on a spare computer, but not very good on a system is used.

crjdriver

Installing windows updates on an unsupported ie first gen ryzen processor. So you will get updates at least for a while.

Attachments

Johnny b

John
Interesting article.
If that becomes a silent policy, imo, it would have been better to just keep fixing Win 10.

I have Windows 11 Pro in Virtualbox. Sadly, it is very small. I do not know how to make it full-screen size. Any ideas ? I have added the guest addition image.

crjdriver

Yeah, I tend to agree with the article in that ms would NOT want a bunch of win11 systems without security updates.
I see win11 as not that big of a deal. Most settings are in the same place as on win10; just a new "Look" In fact the new look is very similar to a number of linux distros.....

Yeah, I tend to agree with the article in that ms would NOT want a bunch of win11 systems without security updates.
I see win11 as not that big of a deal. Most settings are in the same place as on win10; just a new "Look" In fact the new look is very similar to a number of linux distros.....
At least in Linux you have a choice of distributions and desktop environments. That gives users a lot of options for what look they like best. There is even a Linux distro call Windowsfx that mimics the look of Windows 11.

It probably won't be long until someone comes out with a mod that makes the Windows 11 interface look like Windows 10.

After Windows 8 came out a lot of people didn't like its user interface. Mods came out to make its user interface look like Windows XP. I used one of these mods with Windows 8.

crjdriver

After using win11 on my personal system [ryzen 3800X] I do notice some "Issues" After the system has been ON for a while ie a few hours, the video driver seems to slow down and video becomes choppy. A reboot fixes the problem [for a while] Using the latest AMD chipset driver and latest video driver; both for win11. In addition, when doing a clean install of win10 on my system, it is approx 8min from booting with the install usb to the windows desktop. When I clean install win11 on the exact same hardware, it is 11min from boot to the desktop......

Just my opinion however it seems win11 was rushed to RTM without some of the "Polish" that win10 had when released. I have to do some work on my truck this morning however I will probably go back and clean install win10. At least that works without issues.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
In addition, when doing a clean install of win10 on my system, it is approx 8min from booting with the install usb to the windows desktop. When I clean install win11 on the exact same hardware, it is 11min from boot to the desktop......
Well that 11 minutes is a terrible result is it not, as my windows 11 boots to desktop within 30secs from power on

crjdriver

Mac, that is the complete install; from booting with the install usb, completing the install and getting to the desktop.
Just finished the win10 install and it was just under 8min total install time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online