1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 12gb?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Beatkeeper, Oct 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Beatkeeper

Beatkeeper Thread Starter

Hi there i have a 100gb laptop that i just did a fresh install with vista ultimate, i have a good few music files in my documents which i can acount for, but when i looked at my hdd using tuneup utilities disc explorer it tells me that windows is using 12gb?? Surely this cant be right, i get the same answer using treesize. Anyone know whats causing the bloat and what i can delete to free up space?

2. ShadowProwler420

ShadowProwler420

I don't think 12Gigs is 'bloated' for Vista (especially for Ultimate), as that is actually under the minimum threshold for HD space according to Microsoft.

3. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

As Shadow says, that's not bad for Ultimate; you can expect it to grow quite a bit yet with shadow copies and other maintainence and backup activity unless you severly restrict it from doing so.

4. Beatkeeper

ok thanks guys i have another 5 gb partion called presario could i delete this as i,m not sure if it's doing anything as it's totally empty??

5. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

That used to be a restore partition I'm guessing? You can delete it and roll the space into the system partition as long as it doesn't appear to the left (first thing on the disk) of the system partition in Disk Mangement. You can only expand a partition into space created to the right of the partition doing the expanding. Otherwise you'll have to do a reinstall, converging the partitions prior to installing again or just use it as a seperate 5GB partition.

6. Beatkeeper

Hi there could someone give me a step by step guide as to how to delete this second partion and merge it with c drive(yes it's on the right hand side but it's formatted fat32 as opposed to ntfs as is my main c drive)
    Thanks

7. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    I would NOT deleted the partitation "5 gb partion called presario".
    It is used to rebuild your system to factory settings and will work much better than the DVD's that you made.
    You did make your system DVD's?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757198

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice