Windows 2000/2003 DNS

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

JonathanAnon

Banned
Hi,

I'm adding a Windows 2003 server to a small Windows based network. It will be the only server and all clients weill be logging in to it for file sharing. How should I set up DNS on the local network? My clients's gateway is the IDSN router and their DNS is currently the ISP DNS server. Here is my dilemma:

a) If I set the Windows 2003 server up as a forwarder, and set this as the DNS server for the clients, this usually makes the client DNS requests and general Internet access very slow in my experience. (Though this is what Microsoft recommend).

b) If the clients keep using the ISP's DNS server (i.e. and dont use the Windows 2003 for DNS at all), the clients will be slow logging in.

I've found this to be a catch 22 in the past. What is the best way to set this up?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online