1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 2000 Autodetect Problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Drone, Dec 27, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Drone

Drone Thread Starter

I'm having a problem with W2K autodetecting a scanner. The scanner is part of a multifunction Brother machine (Brother MFC9200c). All the other functions installed correctly with the included driver disk, but an error occurs with the install of the scanner drivers.

My boss told me to disable the scanner and I have, but the machine still autodetects the scanner on reboot. It comes up with the Install dialog box at the last screen saying an error has occured.

Is there a way to disable this autodetect? The machine won't be going through any other upgrades for quite some time and won't need to detect any new hardware.

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

Drone ... Im not sure if W2K is different than other 9x/ME types when it comes to this or not. But I would go to device manager in system properties & remove the scanner from the list so it stops trying to plug it in.

3. Drone

Drone Thread Starter

Did that. Doesn't help, it still autodetects the device at startup.

4. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

is it plugged into the system?

5. Drone

Drone Thread Starter

Yes (otherwise it wouldn't autodetect. :p ). The scanner is part of a 6 function device, and it's plugged in via USB. Three techs (myself included) have all looked at this and can't figure it out. I just want to turn off the autodetect hardware function.

If the machine weren't for the CEO, I'd just say ditch it. :)

6. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

yea I meant the scanner.... Hmmmmmmm...... if you find & disable the autodetect ... will it not cause you problems later?

7. Drone

Drone Thread Starter

It really won't cause problems. The CEO is just computer literate enough to read email and work in word. The computer is so he can work from home. He won't be upgrading it at all, when we get it back we will rebuild it.

8. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

Drone I was searching for a solution but came back empty handed...
    someone else will be along soon

9. Brooks

Brooks Guest

You can disable Plug in Play by going into the services and disabling it. It might cause system instability though.

10. Drone

Drone Thread Starter

What kind of instability? I'm not expecting the user to install any new soft or hardware. The most intense thing he will be doing is connecting to the internet, probably only to get his email.

11. Brooks

Brooks Guest

NDISFLT (Network Drivers)
    Logical Diskmanager
    Windows Audio
    Smart Cards
    Telephony
    Messenger (The one that sends alerts when something screw up, not MSN Messenger)

And each one of those services have other services that depend on them. It can set off a cascade reaction throughout the system.

I had never really looked at what all it could do if you disabled it until you asked me. It hass the potential to disable you from doing much at all.

And since the network drivers and telephony depend on it, he might not be able to connect to the internet.

Which version of the drivers are you using? Brother states that the drivers that shipped are not fully compatable with Windows 2000. They have some later drivers on thier website that you might want to try.

http://www.brother.com/E-ftp/model/mfc9200c.htm

12. Drone

Drone Thread Starter

I've already tried the drivers off the Brother page, no help. I'm going to consider this a closed problem as my boss already took the computer to the CEO's house. It's, IMO, only a minor inconveniance.

Thanks for all your help.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63079

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice