Windows 2000 clean installation

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

egg64

How's it going good people, this site has helped me keep my sanity....now another question,

I just wiped my friends hard drive, looking to do complete re-installation. I have a Mad-boot disc that I used, using the Fdisk utility, I partitioned the HD and made it active, restarted the CPU, and prepared to install Windows 2000 Pro, however, it keeps telling me that it needs a certain amount of HD space to install, I just partitioned it and made it active, so what am I doing wrong?

One more question, after I made the partition and made it active, is it ready to use or must it be formatted before usage, and if so, how do I do it?

My guess is Windows 2000 cannot create the hidden system partition used to boot the PC.

The Windows 2000 and XP Install Setup includes a disk manager, which can create the partitions and format the drive as FAT32 or NTFS.

I recommend you use FDISK again and delete all partitions, and then install Windows 2000.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
You might consider something like KillDisk to totally erase the drive, that will insure that you don't have any "hidden" partitions. Then the 2K installation procedure will function properly and create the partition(s).

egg64

Ok, update...

Here's what it does now...I have a program called Drivewasher that I used to wipe the HD, after deleting the partitions and what not, I tried to install Windows 2000 Pro.....and now it's not detecting a hard drive at all. The bios screen shows the hard drive as being present, the size and everything. But I get a Windows blue screen error saying that it doesnt detect a hard drive, and that setup cannot continue.....now what?

If you are using a SCSI or SATA Hard Drive you will have to install the drivers for it before Windows 2000 can see it. I doubt this is the problem though since it was seen before you did the HD erase with that program.

Best advice is to get a boot floppy or boot cd and format the HD with that. Then run a SMART test on it to make sure its still working. (I reccomend Ultimate Boot CD.com its free!)

Run the test for your particular HD and then try to install Window again. If that doens't work come back here and let us know.

egg64

To be honest I have no idea whether or not Windows detected the hard drive in the first place....I just tried wiping the drive free of any partitions, and doing a clean install and that's what I got......after trying the Windows 2000 disk, it just was bypassed and it asked me to insert a system disk, even after changing the boot order to boot from CD.

egg64

Not to go to fast, just wanted to give an update...

After making a partition with the boot CD I have, (It's a Windows 98 bootdisk) The utility says the C drive that I just partitioned is an invalid media type........the message says "Invalid media type reading drive C" Then gives me the option to Abort, Retry, Fail?

I gather this is the reason why the Windows 2000 CD isn't detecting my HD....so, any ideas? I've been wiping my HD all day....about 3 times.

I would get the Ultimate Boot CD, or failing that find your HD make and Model go to the maufactures web site and DL'd their HD testing, checking program. Most conform to the SMART standard at the very least. It may be that your HD is failing some how. Running the test will let you know if your HD is shot or not.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
You should not need any partitions on the hard disk to set it up with 2K, a bare hard disk is fine. I agree that I'd be doing some diagnostics on the drive in this case.

egg64

Ok......I made disks from a HD checking utility from the manufacturer and the Ultimate Boot CD.....just checking to see what it does next.

egg64

Sorry about the slow update...been busy....it turns out that the HD was corrupted after all.....so I just need a new one, Thanks so much John and TechGeek for your insight into the problem.....it's definetly donation time....lol.(y)

egg64

I see that my problem is hardware related, and I'm gonna create another thread in hardware.....but cheers for the help you've guys given me already

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online