1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 2000 Domain Issue

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by secretdark, Aug 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. secretdark

secretdark Thread Starter

Hi,
    I recently took a laptop off our work domain and used it on a workgroup. All was fine until I attempted to reconnect to the domain. While the laptop boots fine, gets an IP address and DNS server using our DHCP server and, with a user name and password can access our server held accounts, when logging in you are forced to login as the local administrator (the domain isn't reachable/displayed).
    I've tried moving the laptop back to the domain (by specifying the domain under Network Identification, Properpties) but when I've tried to do so, I'm told the Domain does "not exist or is not reachable".
    Things I think aren't the problem (based on 4 hour Googling of the symptoms):
    1) I'm logged in as the Local Machines Administrator so I should have a problem defining the change
    2) The DNS server is running fine and reachable by the Local machine and all DHCP services seem fine (evidenced by nslookup's of various other machines and the domain itself and ipconfig info)

Any help would be vastly, greatly appreciated as this is my first Network job post-grad and am incredibly wet behind the ears.

2. AMRS

AMRS

Have you found the difficulty? I'm having a similar problem with a win2k laptop that stopped finding the server. We thought that it was a faulty network card, replaced it, but the computer could still NOT see the network.

The computer does see the network card however. I keep getting a DNS error when I try to hook it up.

AMRS

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/266989

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice