1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 2000 Explorer Crashing when Viewing Large AVIs

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by maboone1, Oct 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maboone1

maboone1 Thread Starter

Hi:

I have searched far and wide to a solution to this problem. The only solutions I have found are for Windows XP and do not work on Windows 2000.

Here is the problem:
    Windows Explorer crashes when people try to view large AVI/MPEG/MOV files either in DIVX or in another codec.
    The machines are Dell Precision Workstations with:
    -Quadro 4
    -512 MB RAM
    -2.4 Ghz Intel p4
    -80 GB HD
    -Windows 2000 with all the latest patches

When you open the file within Windows Media Player, the files open fine. Once someone tries to click the file in Windows Explorer, Explorer.exe crashes then restarts itself. Each of the machines is running the latest NVidia drivers.

I have totally rebuilt the OS image from the ground up and we still have that problem.
    I read somewhere that Windows XP tries to 'index' avi files but since the info is at the end, it gets caught in an infinite loop.
    Is this the same as Windows 2000? The software installed on these machines are Maya 5.0, 6.0, Adobe Premiere 6.5, Adobe Photoshop CS, Adobe After Affects, etc...

Thanks in advance for any advice one can give.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/283355

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice