1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 2000 Explorer.exe error

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by jaileer, Apr 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jaileer

jaileer Thread Starter

I have a work computer that is essentially a dedicated box that runs one glorified printer. This is a completely no frills box that has had everything unnecessary removed. I've got SP4 installed and rollup 1.

A few eeeks ago i started having an issue where whenever i would turn on the machine i would get the error message - "Explorer.exe Has Generated Errors and Will Be Closed By Windows"

The desktop would then blink, and the message would come up again. It would repeat this process for approximately 20 minutes, then the error messages would just disappear and i could open the proprietary software program i needed and run the printer.

All of this, of course, made me uncomfortable, so I installed a fresh copy of Win2000, installed the proper software and inserted it into the machine. It worked wonderfully for 2 weeks and now the same thing is happening! It is NOT the same hard drive, it is a completely new hard drive. I have tried everything in the MS support page to no avail.

I'm super confused because this *should* be a clear case of a software/OS issue, but it's happening on 2 diff hard drives now. Could this be a hardware issue?

thanks,

Jai

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Yes it could be a hardware issue, might be hard to track down too.

Does it do it in safe mode?

3. jaileer

jaileer Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. Strangely, it won't boot into safe mode. I press (and i've tried tapping repeatedly) F8 when the white bar comes up, and it sends me to a screen that allows me to chose which installation i want to run - but there is only one installtion. Then it freezes and won't even let me select the singular installation.

i removed the memory as a shot in the dark, and reseated it. I was able to boot up OK without the errors. I'm skeptical that is the issue, so i'll check back in tomorrow...

Thanks again

4. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

crossing fingers.....

5. jaileer

jaileer Thread Starter

No joy. I logged in this morning and got the same, repeating Explorer.exe errors. Considering that I was able to boot that one time without errors after reseating the memory, I plan on running a memory test after it finishes blinking on and off. Any other suggestions?

6. jaileer

jaileer Thread Starter

So let's consider it *could* be the motherboard, processor or memory that is causing my issue. In that case, if I remove the hard drive and put it into another machine, the hard drive should boot into windows with no errors, correct? Or does the error become a software issue after initially being caused by the hardware?

I pulled the original Hard Drive out and put it into a new machine and was still seeing the same Explorer.exe errors. I have not yet removed the second hard drive to put it into a new machine, but if it were being caused by the hardware alone then i should not have seen the errors in a new box, right?

7. jaileer

jaileer Thread Starter

I was finally able to get it to boot into safe mode by downloading msconfig.exe and selecting the switch to force it into safe mode. It booted into safe mode with no explorer errors. I now have no idea how to proceed.

8. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Bad idea, the hardware will be different, if it is too different it may trash that installation of the OS attempting to load the wrong drivers during the boot process.

Most likely it is a hardware issue, a difficult one to sort out.

9. jaileer

jaileer Thread Starter

i gave up. I just installed the software on a new machine. Thanks for the help!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/915160

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice