1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 2000 install trouble

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Jay Nichols, Jan 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jay Nichols

Jay Nichols Thread Starter

Hi, thanks in advance for your help. I'm a complete amateur trying to install WIndows 2000 onto my laptop from a boot disk. I've just completed the 4-disk install and received the error message "Setup cannot find a CD-ROM drive." Can someone provide help? I have the WIndows 2000 Pro cd. Thanks again. Kindly, Jay

2. perseous

perseous

Sounds like lack of drivers. In stead of tring to install from disks just use the cd. One way to do this is make a start up disk of
    win 98 or higher and boot from that. It will ask if you want cd-rom support say yes. When you get to the prompt (a:\) type in your cd-rom letter and colon and press enter. Then cd\i386 and enter.
    From there just type winnt. The set up will start and just follow the prompts.

3. Jay Nichols

Thanks for your suggestion. First things first . . . how do I make a start up disk of WIndows 2000 pro? Thanks again! Jay

I made the boot disks because my hard drive is formatted.

4. Brooks

Brooks Guest

You can still use the 2000 CD to install from even though your drive is formatted. It will always ask if you want to format or leave the current file system intact. Just have it use the current file system.

For a bootdisk, download this file and run the program. This will automatically create a Win98 boot disk for you.

5. Jay Nichols

thanks, I'll try it and let you know. Jay

6. Jay Nichols

Interesting . . . made the disk, inserted it into floppy drive, turned on machine, a: drive grumbles a bit, and nothing but a blank screen and a blinking cursor . . . no error messages or anything. At this screen, I can press any key and the floppy drive fires up again but nothing happens. Any thoughts? Best, Jay

7. Brooks

Brooks Guest

I have no idea what caused that.

Have you tried booting directly from the Windows 2000 CD?

You can also start the install from inside of Windows. Just boot up normally and then insert the Windows 2000 cd. It should autorun and ask if you want to install.

8. Jay Nichols

OK, made another disk and tried it again. THis time it worked . . . sort of. I got the message "Setup did not detect SmartDrive on computer" .. . the first time, I proceded without SmartDrive and the setup could not continue because it was "unable to locate a hard drive with the volume of at least 252 meagabytes of free disk space" Do I need to run SmartDrive and how do I do it? Thanks in advance for all of your help! Kindly, Jay

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66988

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice