1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 2000/Internet explorer problems cannot view web

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by lyssadarksta, Dec 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lyssadarksta

lyssadarksta Thread Starter

Here is the problem. I will try to be as specific as I can since I know it makes a difference on advice to help resolve.

I had a new computer built. 256mb, 27.3 gig harddrive that is partitioned. I am running Windows 2000 Server. Works wonderfully minus the problem I cannot display any web pages. I installed AOL 8, and my understanding from their message boards is this is a huge problem for a ton of people however their assistance has done no good except take some features of aol away that at least I did have in the beginning.

Here is what has been done thus far.

1) cache checked and cleared
    2) aol adaptor uninstalled and reinstalled
    3) internet explorer repair used
    4) I have uninstalled AOL 8, including all those little files in regedit, installed an older version(6.0) same problem. Deleted 6.0 and reinstalled 8.
    5) It appears to be a winsock2 issue on a ton of others so at a suggestion I deleted winsock2 via regedit. After rebooting winsock2 is back.
    6) A program was written to solve this problem called LSPFix. I dl'd it but when I attempt to run I get this error "Protocol or Namespace Catalog keys not present in the Registry. Please re-install Winsock 2"
    Now I still show winsock2 is there, so I am well confused.
    7) after speaking with another tech, he suggested I find winsock2 at microsoft and reinstall it. I have looked and cannot.
    I found it for windows 95 but not windows 2000.

--- so I am on my laptop, since I can't access the internet via my new system that I love... pleading for someone to help me fix this darn problem.

1) No, I am not computer literate as it might possibly come across above (or may not :p )
    2) No, I don't have the discs for windows 2000 server. Yes, I can get them but not until sometime this coming week and I am being stubborn on wanting to resolve this now.

The error it is giving when trying to access a web page is this
    " system32\shdock.dll/dnserror.htm"

If I left something out important, let me know.

Thanks for any help!

2. rawmeat

rawmeat

Welcome to TSG!

You will probably need the CD to fix the winsock2 problem. You would want to start an install and select Repair and let it find the OS and the repair folder, unless you have the Emergency Repair Disk (you have to have made one during the install). An alternate method of fixing broken W2K systems is to perform a parallel install, where you install a new version in a seperate folder (like winnt2) and replace the system files in your old version. If you would like complete directions, I have posted them here several times or you can ask me to post them again.

As to why you can't display web pages in the first place, I have never encountered what you describe. What is displayed when you attempt to display the web page? An error that the page cannot be displayed? Do you have a firewall? You say you removed the AOL adapter, is this a cable modem? Deleting things in the Registry is only for the "literate" or brave ones, it is easy to hose your system. Please keep the system CD handy, or copy it to the hard drive (you have plenty of space).

Post back and we'll try and be more help.

3. lyssadarksta

The error it is giving when trying to access a web page is this
    " system32\shdock.dll/dnserror.htm"

I am using an external dial up modem, not a cable modem.

This problem is not unique to me, I checked the computer boards on aol and this is a huge problem with the installation of aol 8. Same error above is what people are receiving. Their techs (aol) by phone won't touch windows 2000 server. So I called back and just said plain windows 2000. Their fixes didn't help and they finally gave up on me and told me to call my computer manuf. I guess people still live under the impression that we all buy computers from the store and pay the price for them. A friend of mine who is an engineer for Fuji built it for me. However, he is out of town so I WAS trying to be computer literate...

As far as a fix from AOL or their boards, it looks like a ton of people can't get it resolved. And uninstalling doesn't help cause it does what ever it does perm.

4. rawmeat

rawmeat

I hate to say anything bad about AOL, as many use it, but no techies I know use it and if it won't work with 2k server, you should either change your OS (operating system) or change your ISP. You still have a problem now with the shockwave dll and need to try a repair install from the CD, if you are planning on keeping this OS. If you like all the "bells and whistles" that comes with AOL, you could get similar features with MSN and I know that works with 2k server. Otherwise, Earthlink is a reliable ISP.

5. lyssadarksta

That doesn't sound very optimistic.

I only use AOL because I receive the service free of charge and truly have never had a problem with it before. But I suppose one giant problem makes up for the many small ones avoided.

6. mrphster

mrphster

I don't see why AOL should not work with Server. Interesting enough I now have exactly the same problem except XP. I download newsgroups, email, anti-virus updates but not web pages. I think that part of my problem may be tied to an F-Secure
    SSH encryption program that I run to anonymously bypass my ISP. It was working just fine and then it quit working. I believe that it is tied into a proxy server somehow. I realize that this is not the most helpful Post, but rest assured, I just gotta fix it. My other XP machine works just fine after I took off this program on it. I uninstalled it and still could not access web pages, so I went into IE and proceeded to Tools\Internet Options\LAN Settings and removed the Use Proxy Server check and presto, I was back in business. Now onto the other computer. It's just gotta be a setting somewhere. Windows 2000 has the same kernel as Windows 2K Server. Unless you are running DNS, DHCP, WINS or AD I don't see where it's going to screw up your web pages.

I would be looking at the Ports IE uses. 80. If email uses 110 & 25, and newsgroups use 119 and they work, well the only denominator seems to be port 80. Just a thought for now.

7. lyssadarksta

I can sign onto AOL, just cannot accees web pages. I get the dnserror I originally posted, however I am not running dns. We first thought the modem was conflicting or something so I installed an external modem, took my modem card completely out blah blah. No conflict but yet still no web pages.

When I go into IE>connections my page is basically blank. Under dial up and virtual there is nothing. Under LAN, use a proxy is not checked. But, the problem of not being able to access web pages not only occurs in IE6, but it also occurs in the browser from aol. I have no clue if they are both related or anything.

8. lyssadarksta

Rawmeat.. could you repost the directions on repairing my problem. I now have the disc. I am going to search for it in the threads since you stated you have posted it before, but just in case I don't find it.

9. rawmeat

rawmeat

Sure!

Install a new installation into a different folder, I use winnt2. Install the same service packs and hotfixes that you have on the original. I will assume you don't use a Novell Netware client, if you do, post back and Iwill tell you some specific warnings with that. From the new install make sure you are viewing all files, including hidden, system files and open the winnt2\system32 folder. Select all the files, but no sub folders and use the right mouse button to copy them over the winnt\system32 files. Do the same with the winnt2\system32\drivers folder. Reboot and select the original install from the presented OSs during the boot.

You will have 4 selections with the top being the default choice and VGA mode for the new install next, then the original install and last the original in VGA mode. Check your system for functionality. If it works, then you can edit the c:\boot.ini file to change the default back to the original install and delete or REM out the top 2 selections for the new install. boot.ini is a read only file, so uncheck that box on the properties before editing. You can also change the time to present the OS options to a more reasonble number of seconds (I use 5 as sometimes you may want a choice, setting to 0 will boot immediately without the choice which is a problem if your video ever goes bad). You can delete the new install or keep if space is not a problem. Just remember that if you want use this again later to update any new hotfixes or service packs.

If you still have a problem with the original install, then install your apps into the new one and delete the old one. As long as you install the apps into the same place they are now, you will not have duplicate files.

10. lyssadarksta

Ok, I went to install but for some reason it won't take my key code... keeps saying it is invalid. I tried case sensitive and not, neither works.

But in being nosey and giving up on the above for the moment, I went Start>Programs>Administrative tools>event viewer to see if I could locate errors from explorer.

I found a whole list all referencing this mysterious DNS thing that was in the original error I posted that I was receiving when trying to access the web.

Here is 1)
    The DNS server machine currently has no DNS domain name. Its DNS name is a single lable hostname with no doman.

then it goes into you might have forgotten to configure a primary DNS domain for the server computer. etc etc etc.

2) The DNS server did not detect any zones of either primary or secondary type. It will run as a caching-only server but will not be authoritative for any zones. For more information, see the online Help. (Which I did and did not understand a word of it)

3) The DNS server could not create a User Datagram Protocol socket. The event data is the error code. Restart the DNS server or reboot your computer

4)The DNS server could not open socket for address 0.0.0.0 (this changes with each error, but same error) Verify that this is a valid IP address for the server computer. If it is NOT valid use the interfaces dialog under Servie Properties in the DNS manager to remove it from the list of IP interfaces. (ok, all greek to me here)

ANy ideas?????

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/107391

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice