Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Windows 2000 Is not defragmenting

1K views 27 replies 7 participants last post by  Tuppence2 
#1 ·
Hello,

As from yesterday, my Windows 2000 is not defragmenting.
I analyse and get the message that defragmentation is recommended;
start the defragmenting; the blue indicator line runs very quickly (which it doesn't when it defragments properly)
and informs that the process is finished.

The defragmented display remains the same as the analysis display,and when I analyse again, I am recommended to defragment!

Is anyone able to help. Thank you.

I have two hard drives. I don't use a screensaver.

Thank you,

Penny.

#4 ·
Hello Candy,

Thanks very much - I did that - just the same thing happening, very strange! Is it worth downloading "Diskeeper" to see if it works with that?

Bye,
Penny.

p.s. Just had a look at Diskeeper and Windows 2000 is not mentioned as one of the operating systems it works on :(

#7 ·
Try this:

1) Open Internet Explorer -> Tools -> Internet Options -> delete cookies, delete files (select off-line content), clear history. Then click ok and exit Internet Explorer.

2) Read http://tomcoyote.org/SPYBOT/index1.html then download and run SpyBot. Make sure to get the updates for SpyBot before you have it scan your computer. After you scan and remove anything SpyBot finds, make sure to click the Immunize button and OK and then click the Immunize button in the right pane.

3) Restart computer and run defragmenter.

If it still doesnt work try:

Error-Checking
(My Computer -> right click on the C drive -> Properties -> Tools tab -> under error-checking click Check Now -> select automatically fix file system errors and scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors). Then restart the computer and let it go. It might take like 1 - 2 hours to finish. Now try Defragmenter.

#9 ·
Diskeeper does work with win2k, I am using version 7 right now. As to running in safe mode, that is not necessary on nt based os. On win9x, yes it does help. Win2k can be defraggmenting a partition and keep right on working.

As to your problem, follow the advise to delete all temp files, temp internet files, and offline content. Do you have any very large video files or image files on the partition you are trying to defrag? Is this ntfs or fat32? Have you run chkdsk on the partition you are trying to defrag? If it is the system partition, you will need to restart the computer for it to run. Run chkdsk with the /f switch; that tells it to fix any problem it finds.

#11 ·
Hello crj - Thank you for your post - It's not a FAT32 drive and I've done all the things mentioned. It did defrag just a little big further, but stopped again. I have run the file checker that requires the p.c. to be restarted.

Yes, I do have a lot of photos and movie clips - perhaps I should put these onto disc and take them off my hard drive.

I will run chkdsk when I finish this message.

....................................................................................................

Hello dvk

Thank you for replying.

I will certainly post a log, probably when I get back from work this morning.

..........................................................................................................

Thank you both for your assistance.

Bye,
Penny.

#12 ·
Hello, managed to get this log before I leave for work!

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.2
Scan saved at 05:42:07, on 25/09/2003
Platform: Windows 2000 SP4 (WinNT 5.00.2195)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINNT\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\AVPersonal\AVWUPSRV.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\EPSON\EBAPI\SAgent2.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\regsvc.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\MSTask.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\WBEM\WinMgmt.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\ZoneLabs\minilog.exe
C:\WINNT\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINNT\SOUNDMAN.EXE
C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_01\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\AVPersonal\AVGNT.EXE
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zapro.exe
C:\Program Files\SpamButcher\spambutcher.exe
C:\Program Files\AVPersonal\AVGUARD.EXE
C:\Documents and Settings\Blah Blah.BLAH-W8BV9V16AP\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINNT\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Synchronization Manager] mobsync.exe /logon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE NvQTwk,NvCplDaemon initialize
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BurnQuick Queue] C:\WINNT\BQTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_01\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVGCtrl] C:\Program Files\AVPersonal\AVGNT.EXE /min
O4 - Startup: SpamButcher.lnk = C:\Program Files\SpamButcher\spambutcher.exe
O4 - Global Startup: EPSON Status Monitor 3 Environment Check 2.lnk = C:\WINNT\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\E_SRCV02.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: ZoneAlarm Pro.lnk = C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zapro.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console (HKLM)
O16 - DPF: {8AD9C840-044E-11D1-B3E9-00805F499D93} (Java Runtime Environment 1.4.2) -
O16 - DPF: {9F1C11AA-197B-4942-BA54-47A8489BB47F} (Update Class) - http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/CAB/x86/unicode/iuctl.CAB?37873.266724537
O16 - DPF: {CAFEEFAC-0014-0001-0005-ABCDEFFEDCBA} (Java Runtime Environment 1.4.1_05) -

Thanks,
Penny.

#17 ·
Hello all of you, you all very good to help me like this!

Will do a scan in safe mode and disk cleanup. Should I do the file checker first - probably best!

I've removed all my photos and movie clips on to disc and freed up some space.

If this doesn't work, I think I'll have to reload Windows. I keep all my info. on my D drive and the operating system on C, so it's not so bad as having to lose everything.

Will report when I've done the above.

Bye,
Penny. :)

#18 ·
Hello,

I'm beginning to wonder whether the disk is actually defragmenting, but the display is not correct. Is that possible? When I look at the report at the end of the defragmentation, there are not very many files that are defragmented.

Does this sort of thing happen when a disk begins to fail? Everything seems fine otherwise.

Bye,
Penny.

#20 ·
That is not diskeeper, rather it is a screen from disk management. As long as chkdsk does not find any errors, I would not worry too much about the health of the hd. You can download and run the hd mgf's utility for checking the disk. Here is a screen shot of diskeeper.

Attachments

#21 ·
Hello crj,

Thank you very much. I've downloaded Diskeeper Pro 8 and it has defragmented the two drives! Excellent. I am very pleased. I have set the smart schedule for it to maintain the two discs.

Thanks again to everyone who helped.

Thanks also for the tip about downloading the disk manufacturer's drive checking facility - I will look into that.

Bye,

#26 ·
Hello KM - thanks!

Do you know anything about Disk Keeper? I've set it to defrag when it wants to, automatically, but there doesn't seem to be an icon showing to tell you the program is actually loaded and working. I can check it in Task Manager, but just wondered where else to look.

Bye,

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.