1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 2000 Keeps Rebooting at Startup

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by richyoung, Jan 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. richyoung

richyoung Thread Starter

I have a Windows 2000 pro installation on my Dell laptop. On bootup it gets to the login screen, then seems to reboot and start up all over again. I have used the recovery console to 1) Repair the installation.
    2) Chkdsk
    3) Fixboot
    4) Fixmbr
    None of these have worked. Any suggestions before I have to do a complete reinstall?

2. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

First Name:
    Bruce
    Is this an upgrade from a previous OS, such as Windows 98, or was it a clean install??

3. richyoung

richyoung Thread Starter

It was a clean install.

4. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

First Name:
    Bruce
    In that case, have you installed any new apps, drivers, etc. on it lately before it started doing this?? There is also the possibility that you could just have a corrupted installation, in which case you would have to redo the system.

5. richyoung

richyoung Thread Starter

A USB stick was used, some files were copied across (bout 10mb worth). None of these were opened. So it may point toward the usb stick.

6. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

First Name:
    Bruce
    What was the memory stick used for and what kind of files are we talking about??

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436815

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice