1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 2000 Machines slow on Network save

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ryshkus, Feb 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ryshkus

ryshkus Thread Starter

I have 2 windows 2000 machines in my network environment that access and save files very slowly.

Any suggestions?

2. Del

Del

Can you give us a little more information? Where are the files, how many machines?

3. leeson

leeson

Hi, I have the same problem with users getting slow response times opening and saving. It also takes 30 seconds or so to check the properties of a file. Current setup is:

4 x Win 2000 Servers 1xAD 1xMail 1x Data 1 x SQL (Using Active Directory)

around 80 Windows 2000 Professional clients.

Basically response time with files is very slow when accessing them on any of the above servers. It generally happens when saving. Other symptoms are Word Preview slow (Has to be turned off), Properties of said files takes upto 30 seconds to appear.

Any advice on this?

Cheers

Paul :(

4. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

Make sure all of the network connections are valid, including printers.
    Use My Network Places to create network connections instead of Map a Network drive.

5. Rockn

Rockn

Do you have an DNS server on your network anywhere? Win2K doesn't by default do any name rsolution with NetBIOS like WinNT did before and this will definately slow down a lot of different applications. If you aren't running a DNS server locally try putting your servers IP address in the workstations DNS server entry in network configuration. Tell us if this speeds things up.

6. ryshkus

ryshkus Thread Starter

The preferred DNS is already set.

This is very strange. I have turned off all services that dont need to be running or even started. And we have a few 2000 machines that are running fine. Makes you wonder if there is something wrong with the way they were setup. The way the applications were installed.

I have made sure that all windows 2000 service packs and patches are up to date, as well as novell client.

7. Rockn

Rockn

You never mentioned that this was on a Novell network...that changes everything!! So you are saying the servers are Novell and the clients are Win2K??

8. ryshkus

ryshkus Thread Starter

I'm sorry, Im knew to this.

Yes ALL of the servers are Novell. Up to date as well.

9. DumbassGMan

DumbassGMan

I'm having the same type of problems.

Utilizing W2K Pro clients logging into a Novell 5 Server. Also mapping 2 drives to a W2K Server via Novell script (i.e. net.exe)Using IP connections to server with all clients running at 100mb. All service patches in place.

Symptoms:
    Anytime a user tries to access the contents of a network folder for the first time, it takes upwards of 40 seconds for the list of drives/contents to populate. This does not continue unless the user doesn't access network drives for a long period of time.

10. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Speed up & Browse Windows 2000/XP faster
    Maybe you have noticed that Windows XP and Windows 2k take a whole life to navigate thru a local network. Well, this is due to a bug (that's how people described it) that that scans shared files for Scheduled Tasks. Here is an excellent tip to solve this problem.
    This problem turns out that you can experience a delay as long as 30 seconds when you try to view shared files across a network because Windows 2000 is using the extra time to search the remote computer for any Scheduled Tasks. Note that though the fix is originally intended for only those affected, Windows 2000 users will experience that the actual browsing speed of both the Internet & Windows Explorers improve significantly after applying it since it doesn't search for Scheduled Tasks anymore. Here's how :
    Open up the Registry and go to :
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/Current Version/Explorer/RemoteComputer/NameSpace
    Under that branch, select the key :
    {D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}
    and delete it.
    This is the key that instructs Windows to search for Scheduled Tasks. If you like you may want to export the exact branch so that you can restore the key if necessary. This fix is so effective that it doesn't require a reboot and you can almost immediately determine yourself how much it speeds up your browsing processes.

11. ryshkus

ryshkus Thread Starter

I tried it, will let you know if it works.

Also, where did you find this?

12. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Ancient Chinese Secret.

We have this same issue on our Novell Network ever since we upgraded to 2000 desktops. Our admins refuse to try it. I fix stuff for them all the time but I dont think they respect me because I dont have a degree yet. I am just a lowely Mainframe user who knows enough to hack there little Netware Network. I wonder if they are ever going to change the admin password. When they upgraded to 2000 desktops they installed the wrong print driver on just about everyones machines. We still do not use NDPS.

Many people say that this fix is hit or miss. Some people say that it works fine and others say that it did nothing for them. Give it a try and post your feedback.

http://www.etheart.com/tips.html

13. ryshkus

ryshkus Thread Starter

Your so kind to share it with us. Thanks for the link. I am a girl that needs to know "why" things happen and "where" they come from!

14. Rockn

Rockn

15. ryshkus

ryshkus Thread Starter

Yes I have the current version with the latest patches.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117183

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice