1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 2000 not recgonizing Slackware

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by Regicide, Apr 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Regicide

Regicide Thread Starter

I recently installed Windows 2000 Professional, and Slackware 9.1. Whenever I am in 2000, Windows doesn't realize that the other partition is linux. So, I can't access any data that is on the Linux partition. Everytime I try to, Windows wants me to format that partition. Is this normal? If it isn't how can I change it. I have a Swap and a Linux partition and I use LILO. Also, when I am in Linux, can I access any information on the Windows partition? Mind you: I am a n00b to Linux.

2. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

Yes it is normal. Standard linux partition is ext2[3], which windows will not recognize. Try (http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/explore2fs.htm) explore2fs, which may allow you to acess it. you can also acess your windows info (though, write will not work) by issuing the command (I'm making the assumption that windows is the first primary partition on first drive) mount -t ntfs -ro /dev/hda1 /mnt.

The last paramater can be changed to any open, empty directory. This command will have to be issued as root.

3. Regicide

Regicide Thread Starter

Thanks alot! The explorer program works great, and the mount works fine too. But, when i type in: mount -t ntfs -ro /dev/hda1 /root/Windows, I get an error. But when I take out the "-ro" it works fine. Here's another question: how do I make Linux mount /dev/hda1 everytime it starts up? And, don't I have to tell it to unmount (umount) it too when it shuts down? I'm running LILO if that helps at all. Thanks again!

4. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

pardon, that should have been -o ro. You really should create a top level windows directory, as the /root/windows directory is only root acessable, and unless you run as root all the time (Which is a NO NO!), you wont be able to get to your files

To mount it at boot, add a line to your fstab like this (I may be wrong on the numbers, give me a couple of minutes to check)

/dev/hda1 /windows ntfs ro 0 0

btw, fstab is a file in /etc/

5. Regicide

Regicide Thread Starter

Thanks for the help Whitesnake! I've got a new account on Linux that has access to the Windows mount! But I have one slight problem. I have installed my brother's wireless netgear usb adapter (MA101A). I installed it correctly on Linux, but I can't seem to get it to work with DHCP. I can get it to work this way:
    Code:
    ifconfig eth1 192.168.0.9
    route add default gw 192.168.0.1
    I have to do this everytime my laptop starts up. Is there a way I can use my router's DHCP and have Linux automaticaly do it when it starts up? Basicly, after I got Linux to recongize my adapter, this is what I did:
    1. iwconfig eth1 mode Managed
    2. iwconfig eth1 essid Wireless
    3. iwconfig eth1 channel 1
    4. Added this to my /etc/modules.conf file: "post-install usbvnet /bin/fastvnet.sh"
    5. Edited the /tmp/.vnetrc file to the right specifications of my network.
    I know that the driver is the right one. I know that the driver is right because I can manually set it up whenever my computer starts. Any suggestions?

6. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

tried dhclient?

7. tsunam

tsunam

well you can always add a simple script at bootup to the rc.conf that will do what you do manually.

and for it to use the networks dhcp shouldnt it just be dhcpcd eth0 <--to get the dhcp from the router.

8. Regicide

Regicide Thread Starter

I tried using dhclient, it said that there were no active connections or something like that. I rather have it be connected to the dhcp of the router because there are 4 other computers on this network and I don't want this one interfering with their IPs. I haven't tried the dhcpcd yet. I will later once I get home.

9. Regicide

Regicide Thread Starter

Ok, dhcpcd didn't work. But, I asked my friend and a few FAQs, and it seems that it is recomended that I have a static IP for Slackware. Knowing this now, I want to have Slackware boot everytime with the following lines:
    Code:
    I tried to look for the rc.conf file but I couldn't find it. Is there a certain boot file where I can add these lines to and how would I go about editing this file? Thanks for keeping with me.

10. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

what are the contents of your /etc/ directory?
    try ls /etc/ | grep rc

This can help us (me) figure out what kind of boot slack uses. If it has rc1-6.d then you would make a scipt inside one of thsoe directories, rcN (N being default runlevel: check inittab) that excecutes those commands.

11. Regicide

Regicide Thread Starter

Code:
    ls /etc/ | grep rc
    dialogrc
    imrc
    inputrc
    minirc.dfl
    nail.rc
    rc.d/
    screenrc
    slrn.rc
    wget.rc
    ytalk.rc

12. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

what is in rc.d? a bunch of scipts, or a series of numbered directories? If its just scripts, then place an inet config script in there.

13. Regicide

Regicide Thread Starter

All that is in rc.d/ is a bunch on script files. What is the file extension for script files, or do I save it as a .conf file? Can I use anyname, or is there one preset? This is what I'm thinking about doing:

#file: /etc/rc.d/myinet.conf
    iwconfig eth1 channel 1
    iwconfig eth1 essid Wireless

EDIT:
    I tried that file, it didn't work. Now, everytime it starts up, it says that eth1 isn't a regisitered device. I'm so frustrated!

14. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

I'm not familiar on how slackware boots, so i have to look it up.

15. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

Ok. Try reading this. ()http://www.comptechdoc.org/os/linux/howlinuxworks/index.html()

Its quite detailed on how linux boots, and should give you some clues as to how to add that stuff to your network scripts.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221691

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice