1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows 2000 password problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by rempe, Dec 24, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rempe

rempe Thread Starter

I forgot my password a while ago for windows 2000 start-up. I had it set so I could just click OK with only my user name and no password and it let me on.
    I recently wanted to change my user name and password and dumped the previous user after I set up a new user. Little did I know the desktop changes so all my documents and programs were dumped along with my old user and now I'm left with a blank desktop with the basics.
    I talked to a phone tech. at dell and he said I need to go into a program he showed me online and search for the adminstrators password. I tried this and couldn't do it b/c I need the Windows 2000 disc which I dont have.
    My dell came with millenium and then I used my roomates 2000 Professional edition and did a clean install over millenium b/c it worked better.
    So now I need to somehow recover my old user or find out his password which I forgot or somehow get on with the admin. and that password.
    Anyone have a clue as to what I'm getting at?

2. glenna

glenna

Right Click on Start,
    Explore all users.
    Under Documents and Settings find Administrator.
    Open the desktop.
    Drag The appropriate icon to Desktop under ALL USERS

3. rempe

rempe Thread Starter

Glenna,
    Once I right clicked on start I went to Explore...Then to documents and settings...then 3 folders appear, 1-all users, 2-the user I dumped by accident(which it won't let me open by saying access denied, and the third is the new user I'm currently signed in with.
    I clicked on all users and just get a desktop folder but theres nothing in it.
    I had caled a phone tech and basically I think the only way around this is to find out the administartors password.

4. TheWendyGuy

TheWendyGuy

You may be able to get away without the Administrator Password.

When you created the new account you must have been logged in as an Administrator (even if not Administrator itself...although perhaps a Power User)

Anyway!

If you put the new user in the "Administrators" group, then you can take possession of the other users docements and folders, thereby avoiding the Permission problem.

If not, I saw that somebody a few postings ago mentioned something about some sort of Linux boot disk that could find out the Administrator password. I don't know anything else about it though. Dig for it through the postings...

5. rempe

rempe Thread Starter

It won't let me do anything, I cant even delete things that arent working on my hard drive. It's like I have no security priveleges at all on my own computer. I'm going to do a clean install with XP and hope everything works right.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62840

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice