1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 2000 pro-2nd harddrive but can't install anything on it how to install right

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by xfile47, Oct 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

Windows 2000 pro

Small master harddrive was full
    installed an old harddrive from another computer an 80gig axs a slave
    it shows it is drive letter F and can open it I deleted all the files that were on it so it is empty

Itshows in computer managment but how do I get it so I can put folders, files and like put the antivirus on that drive, I think I did something wrong but don't no what it is.

It shows in computer management as Drive F and I put it as NTSF like the master drive can someone help me here I need to get this done.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Ordinarily, the antivirus will pick up the drive automatically. But most viruses are a problem on the system drive, anyway.

What is the problem? Can you move files and folders to the drive?

If you create a Program Files folder on that drive, many programs give an option of where to install and you can pick that folder. But most programs will also put files in other places, so more space will still get used on the main drive.

The easiest way to get more room is to right-click on your Documents folder and change its location to the other drive. You'll need to log off for the move.

3. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

How do I get the F drive to the sendto folder so I can just send files to that drive

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Unhide hidden files and folders in Folder Options. Go to C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\SendTo and put a shortcut to F: or a folder on F: in the DendTo folder.

But before you do anything, I'm a bit wary of the preparations made for using that drive. It would really be best if you went to Disk Management, right-clicked the drive, and removed all the volumes on the drive so it was blank. The, create a new one (or ones) and format NTFS. That will insure that the drive is compatible and has valid partition tables so you don't get lost access later. Make it a primary partition.

5. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

it now has a primary partition and is formatted is NTFS now do the sendto thing?

6. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

Now I tried to send avg to the F drive to put it on thru sendto and it says it can't casue the pararimiter is incorrect, can you help me with what that means?

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

Sounds good to me. You can then sort the files out on that drive later.

I think that to move files instead of just copying, you need to use the Shift key with SendTo.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

You can't move any installed programs to that drive. They would have to be uninstalled and then reinstalled, specifying that drive for the location.

9. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

i WILL LET YOU NO IN A FEW MIN HOW IT CAME OUT GOTAA O SOMETHING QU9CK

10. bbearren

bbearren

Actually, it can be done; it just requires lots of editing of the registry to make it work.

Visit my homepage and click on "XP Unleashed". The procedures will work in W2K.

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

"Impossible" is, certainly, a relative term. I should have said "easily", I guess. It is beyond the casual user's abilities, and most people's time constraints. A program like PCMover will also allow many program to be moved after installation. As well as:

MoveIt
    Change Of Address 2

Thanks for the link.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758453

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice