1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows 2000 pro...blue screened

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by rockmom57, Sep 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rockmom57

rockmom57 Thread Starter

when i start up..it blue screens the following message.....stop: {0000218 } registry file failure {
    registry cannot load the hive ( file) ;
    /system route/system 32/config/software
    or its log or alternate.
    it is corrupt,absent, or not writable.beginning dump of physical memory
    physical memory dump complete contact your system administrator or technical support group.

Please help me

2. Chicon

Chicon

Hi rockmom57,

Welcome to TSG ! :)

I'm writing a solution for your problem : be patient. I hope you have the install CD of Windows 2000 Pro.

3. rockmom57

rockmom57 Thread Starter

i can't find the cd......my pc is 5 years old and never had any probs :(

4. Chicon

Chicon

You don't need to reinstall all the stuff, the CD will help you to get the recovery console.
    If you know someone who has an install CD of Windows 2000 Pro. I give you the solution

- Turn on your computer and immediately insert your Windows 2000 install CD,
    - let your computer boot on the CD : after a moment the screen will turn blue with the text 'Installation of Windows 2000',
    - when all needed components are loaded in memory, the screen will turn black a few seconds then it will turn back to blue with a menu,
    - select the 'r' option, you will get another menu,
    - select the 'c' option to get the recovery console, at this moment, the screen will turn black and you will be asked on which installation of Windows ... and you answer 1,
    - you will be asked the administrator password, if there's no password, just hit the return key,
    - you will a DOS prompt line like this : C:\WINNT>
    - beside the prompt, type the following commands followed each by hitting the return key:

rename C:\WINNT\System32\config\software C:\WINNT\System32\config\software.old
    copy C:\WINNT\repair\software C:\WINNT\System32\config\software
    exit

- after,you've typed the last command, the computer will restart, remove immediately the CD while restarting and as soon, you see data appearing on the screen, hit the F8 function key many times till you reach a menu then select 'Start in safe mode' and log with your administrator account,
    - on your desktop, click 'Start' then 'Run' : type cmd in the pane then click 'Ok' to apply,
    - a DOS window will open prompting C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>, type the following commands :

cd ..
    cd ..
    cd winnt
    cd system32
    cd config
    rename software software.rep
    rename software.old software
    exit

- the DOS window will close then your restart the computer normally

5. rockmom57

rockmom57 Thread Starter

what if i can't find a 2000 cd???

6. Chicon

Chicon

I found out a link http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm from where you can download Disk1 --> Disk4. Copy each file on a formatted floppy (*).
    Instead of booting with the CD, you can use the floppy Nr 1 to boot and the system will ask you to insert Disk2, ..., Disk4. It will allow you to get the recovery console.

(*) Caution : the Disk files are compressed ZIP files, you must first unzip them into folder and you must copy the content of each folder on its designed floppy.

7. Chicon

Chicon

Sorry, I just have checked the content of the files from Disk1 to Disk4. And I made a mistake in my prior post : each folder contains a .img file, each .img file must be burned as image on a separate CD. I believed the folders contained the usual files designed to be copied on floppys as Windows 2000 allows its user to make 4 rescue floppy disks.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/396555

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice