1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 2000 pro DEFRAG problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by grampus123, Nov 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. grampus123

grampus123 Thread Starter

Hi,
    I have a old PII computer withonly 3GB of Hard drive. I have installed Windows 2000 and Office and not much more. There is only 25% free space
    I have tried to run DEFRAG but it says it requires a minimum of 15% and that only 3 % of the available 25 % can be used.

I have tried running in SAFE mode, but no joy.

Is there anything I can do to get DEFRAG to use the 25% free space??

Why does it say it can only use 3% of it.??

Many thanks in advance

KILL BILL .........Gates

2. cronista

cronista

Grampus:
    Welcome to the Forum!

No no don't say things like that about Bill Gates. We wouldn't even be reading these words if he hadn't supplied his genius.

If it is true that you have only 25% free space, the first thing you need to do is to take a look at what is on your computer. If your computer is like mine, there are many files there that you don't need. Have you removed all the *.tmp files? Have you cleaned out your Internet Temporary files?

Also, are you using the Windows Defrag feature, or a 3rd-party utility?

Cordially,
    Cronista

3. grampus123

Many thanks,

No there isno real junk or temp files on the HD and I am just using the Windows DEFRAG. Just a simple old machine - just like myself.

AndI'm sure we would all be using something much sliker, quicker and more efficient if it was not for Mr Gates "genius". Windows was/is is first op system to become mass market..... I'm sorry he's got to be the first against the wall.

So why wont DEFRAG use the free space and is there anything I can do??

4. cronista

cronista

Grampus:
    On my Win98 machine, I can open the "My Computer" icon, and right-click on the "C:" drive. Then I can select "Properties" and there is a pie-style diagram there of that hard drive: what is used and what is available.
    If you can do the same, I would be interested to know if the reading you get there is comparable to what the Defrag program is telling you. In other words that you have only 25% hard drive space left.
    There are other means in Windows to get an exact reading of what is on your hard drive but this simple method came to mind first.
    Best Regards,
    Charles aka Cronista

5. cronista

cronista

Grampus:
    Oh I forgot to answer one of your questions: Why doesn't Defrag just use that available space?
    According to what I read, during the defrag process the utility must put many megabytes of files elswhere on your disk temporarily. If it doesn't have that space to do its homework, you get that error message.

6. grampus123

Hi Cronista, You are being very helpful,

My pie chart shows just shy of 1GB free and 2 GB used for Windows and Office, so which ever way I look there is 25 - 30 % free space. DEFRAG recognises thi, but says it can only use 3% of the 25%. What I am hoping to find out is how DEFRAG determines which free spae it an use and why it won't use the other.

Regards

7. cronista

cronista

Grampus:

I could do a search and find some free defrag programs that you might try. But I'd rather not do that for two reasons:

1. I have not tried any of them.

2. There are readers of this forum who have tried other programs and can recommend them with authority.

I suggest we wait a bit for one of those experts to come along.

Cordially,
    Charles aka Cronista
    P.S. I'm using a 6-year-old version of Norton Systems Works that I have never upgraded. I use its defragmenting utility and have never had a problem with it. But I'd bet someone will recommend a free utility dedicated to hard drive defragging.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/417649

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice