1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 2000 Pro

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by L Henry, Feb 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. L Henry

L Henry Thread Starter

Hello John:

Your recent post is very comprehensive and is very much appreciated.

I do not use this computer for Internet activity (i.e. email, web options, etc.) It is used for running vintage programs that were installed when the unit was new.

I will continue to research startup apps and services and eliminate/modify the ones not required.

I doubt that I will reinstall the OS or install a different one, as my technical skills in this area are minimal and thus errors would be probable.

The Belarc Advisor print out for the processor is: “1.20 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4 Mobile”. Accurate?

SpeedStep is running. Properly?

Louis

2. Johnny-be-Good

Johnny-be-Good John

Good Morning Louis :)

As you can't judge/record change of cpu speed with Belarc, a better way to view Speed Step is with CPU-Z, a free download here:

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

CPU-Z will also identify your cpu.

To watch cpu speed change, open CPU-Z and note the difference in recorded speed between the computer at idle and at work running something intensive such as Prime 95, a free download that can be used for stress testing.

https://www.mersenne.org/download/
    This is the version you want:
    p95v2810.win32.zip

Also note the difference in cpu speed, between being only on battery power and plugged into an electrical outlet.

There should be differences if speed step is working.

I still think it would be worth your while to check out that hard drive with HDDScan.
    And it would be a good idea to save those I386 folders to external media just in case that hard drive does fail because you currently have no other means of reinstalling your operating system without that install CD, should that hard drive fail.

John :)

3. L Henry

L Henry Thread Starter

Hello Again

Internet connections with the C840 are most difficult and downloading and installing programs equally so. I use my desktop for interaction on this site.

Managed, however, to install CPU-Z and produce an 18-page report.

Most of the items are not meaningful to me, but I will try to relay any specific item(s) that would be of interest to you.

CPU-Z lists the CPU as “Intel Pentium 4 Mobile CPU 2.00GHz.

I believe that most of my modifications on the C840 will be attempting to identify the startup items and services that are crucial for the laptop general operation.

Louis

4. Miqw7394

Miqw7394 Mike

@Johnny-be-Good:-

I think you'll find this is the Pentium M processor that Belarc Advisor is identifying, John.

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Pentium_M/Intel-Pentium M 1.2 GHz RH80535GC0091M.html

These 'Banias' Pentium Ms were actually available down to just 1 GHz; they were one of the very first ultra-low power designs on the market.

The slowest Mobile Pentium-4 was 2.3 GHz:-

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Pentium_4/TYPE-Mobile Pentium 4.html

...and the slowest Mobile Pentium 4-M was around 1.6 GHz:-

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Pentium_4/TYPE-Mobile Pentium 4-M.html

Totally irrelevant to the topic, I know......but it appears that Belarc and CPU-Z are both identifying the Pentium differently. Which could be to do with them running differently in Win2K to what they would in say, WinXP.

Mike. ;)

5. Johnny-be-Good

Johnny-be-Good John

Hi Mike :)

Since it's not my computer, I don't really know anymore than what L Henry has supplied and the info in that Wikipedia link I posted.
    My only angle in using CPUID was to watch the speed change as speed step adjusts to load.
    Belarc is only going to list status when checked, it's not dynamic.

6. thachcaothanhhien

thachcaothanhhien

Can you use windows 2000 pro?

7. Johnny-be-Good

Johnny-be-Good John

If I wanted to, yes. I still own a license but would rather run a modern OS.

8. Miqw7394

Miqw7394 Mike

It's either the low-power Pentium-M I linked to.....or if L.Henry's CPU-Z readout is correct, then it's identifying it correctly, but in the low-power state; I strongly suspect SpeedStep is not cutting-in under load.

And given what Intel's bulletin about SpeedStep drivers says, I'll be extremely surprised if Dell would let you have a Win 2000 SpeedStep driver for a unit that old. Like all manufacturers, they're in the business of shifting units, and would far rather sell you a shiny new, expensive machine..... :rolleyes:

Mike. ;)

9. Johnny-be-Good

Johnny-be-Good John

Hi Mike :)

Agreed.

Time for a Puppy install!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1185098