1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 2000 problem (Please help!)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sama85, Nov 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sama85

sama85 Thread Starter

When I start up my pc, there is a box that comes up and says:

"The procedure entry point IsWellKnowSid could not be located in the dynamic link library ADVAPI32.dll"

Then it says, click ok, so I click it. Then it says:

"System is shutting down.........NT Authority System"

C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe terminated unexpectedly, status code 128"

And then it counts down to when it will restart, and then it restarts.

What does this mean? Is there really something wrong with one of my files, or is this a virus or something? Please help me out.

2. physician

physician

Welcome to the forums

This problem is related to a recent download from the windows update site. I had the same problem. I resolved it by restoring from my backup device. If you have the windows 2000 disk and know how to use the recovery console, you can fix it. IF you have a backup device or emergency recovery disk, you can restore it. It is not a virus or malware problem. The wellknownsid is some type of authentication in your windows OS. You can search for it on the microsoft support site and you will see what I am talking about...doc

3. sama85

sama85 Thread Starter

Ok, I have the Win 2000 disk, but it's not the original copy. It's burned. Will it still work? I don't have an emergency disk either. I have a backup hard drive, but I'm not sure of how to apply that to the hard drive I'm using. If there's nothing I can do, will I have to reformat? Is there a way I can transfer some info from one hard drive to another?

4. physician

physician

There is a way using recovery console to copy the advapi32.dll file from the disk to the hard drive, but I don't know the commands. Its not hard to do, but it is specific. Someone who knows can give you the specific steps for this, but you will need to wait til one looks at this thread...doc

5. physician

physician

6. sama85

sama85 Thread Starter

Ok, I'll try it and see what happens

7. sama85

sama85 Thread Starter

Ok, I tried my Win 2000 disk, and while it was loading the files for the setup, it stalled and said:

"The file mountmgr.sys is corrupted. Press any key to continue."

I press the key and it says:

"Setup failed. Press any key to restart your computer."

Now what do I do? Does anyone have any other suggestions?

8. sama85

sama85 Thread Starter

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/415974

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice