1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 2000 problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Xephar, Dec 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Xephar

Xephar Thread Starter

I've run into an interesting problem on friend of mines computer.

she is running windows 2000 pro, and when she boots the computer it starts as usual, no problems there, but when windows loads the start menu and desktop don't load.

the explorer.exe file is loaded and running though.

Has anyone ever ran into this problem ?

Any idea's on how to fix it?

2. Jtoast

Jtoast

Had that problem come up once when i tried to uninstall IE6 SP1.

couldnt say what caused it in your case but I would try booting to a command prompt(tap f8 during boot before windows starts and select command prompt from the menu)and type Scanreg /restore.

then choose a date from before the problem started.

if that doesnt work, can you get into safe mode?

3. Xephar

Xephar Thread Starter

I wasn't able to get the command prompt, but I am able to load the desktop and the start menu by pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL and use the task manager to find and run explorer.exe

something wierd happened when I booted it up.

A window appeared, and it was called C:\WINNT\cmd.exe

And it was just going through a list, it tried to shut down netBIOS, but it had an error, and then it tried to close "Computer Browser" and did so succesfully, this was all during the boot-up process (After windows was loaded).

Anyone know what this means?

4. Jtoast

Jtoast

if you can get to the desktop, you should be able to get to the command prompt.

what happens when you try?

5. Monkey_Dance

Monkey_Dance

I've got a similar problem, I'm sure I'll get round to fixing it one day, must've installed something a bit dodgy, or it's possibly a virus scanner freezing up.

Try CTRL-ALT-DEL then Task Manager, Processes and kill explorer.exe
    Then go to Applications, New Task and just type in 'explorer'. Hopefully your desktop will appear.

Not a cure but a workaround.

6. Xephar

Xephar Thread Starter

Already found that work around :grin:

Was the first thing I tried.

I am thinking of telling my friend to just reinstall windows.

Will that cause more problems?

If she installs windows 2000 over itself... will that work?

I've reinstalled windows 98, and windows XP over itself with out formatting, and not having any problems.

Will windows 2000 have a problem with that?

7. Xephar

Xephar Thread Starter

Well when I press F8 when the computer boots I come up with a menu, and I went to "Safe Mode with Command Prompt" or something like that.

And it just loaded windows in safe mode. Didn't put me in the command prompt... (by command prompt you mean booting into what looks like DOS?)

Its not dos, I know, but it looks like it.

8. Jtoast

Jtoast

loading 2k over itself isnt a major issue and would probably fix the problem. youll just have to reinstall all the updates again.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/106762

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice