1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows 2000 problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bjk111, Jul 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bjk111

bjk111 Thread Starter

i upgraded my win 2000 file system from fat32 to ntfs and i have all sorts of problems opening up games and programs, everytime i open a game i get an error message "The procedure entry point DdEntry1 could not be located in the dynamic link library GD132.dll.".
    Also having problems with a "Profiler.msi" it wants me to install but i cant seem to find it.
    Any replies would be much appreciated.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Here is a link to a mskb article that may address your problem.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;179071

Since it started when you converted to ntfs, I tend to think one or more of your tsr apps does not like the ntfs file system. You should be aware that win2k will convert your disk to 512 byte cluster size. This is very inefficient; when you do a clean install with ntfs your cluster size is [generally] 4K. In order to see if one of your apps is causing the problem; you might try and deselect startup programs one at a time. Win2K does not have a msconfig utility. Here is a link to download one; after you copy it to the winnt\system32 folder it will work just like win9x or xp.
    http://www.thetechguide.com/downloads.html

3. TERM

TERM

I am using windows 2000 on a burnt CD. The CD works fine other than the fact it is not bootable. I installed it on my last computer without problems, I even installed it on the current one without problems. However, this time the install doesnt work the way I want it too so im going to re-install since thats what the support on this site said to do. (Thread Win2K(Still broken) from yesterday)

I do have some questions though;

1. Do bootdisks screw anything up with the install?
    2. Is the first thing I should do install the SP4 once the OS is installed?
    3. The person who replied to my previous post said to install the chipset/mb drivers, doesn't windows automatically detect this stuff? And if so (or not) would that be the reason I was not able to install programs like Office, Dreamweaver, CuteFTP, and NERO?
    4. Install video driver. Again, doesnt windows automatically detect this, I know you can get better drivers, but does using the default screw anything up, and can I install it after?

Thanks for the help. Oh and BTW I do own the software I have burnt, I had a house fire and some companies would not send me a new copy of the software even though I was able to provide the receipt and license for it. (they were packed in a box not in my house luckily)

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

1 No
    2 Yes, install sp4 right after os
    3 Windows will install standard ide drivers, they may or may not [depending on the chipset] give good performance
    4 Windows will install a driver for your card if it has one. If it is a newer card, made it the last 3 years it probably does not have a driver for the card. Install either the mgf's driver or the chipset mgf's driver for your video card. Newer video drivers generally give an improvement in performance.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/146971

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice