1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows 2000 problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by slicedpan, Aug 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slicedpan

slicedpan Thread Starter

I have a laptop here with win 2k installed that won't boot, the error given is
    \winnt\system\config\system is missing or corrupt. Apparently this error is due to a problem with the registry, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/269075 has the details. My problem is that when i boot from a win 2k installation cd i can't get to the recovery console because i get a disk i/o error before i am given the optio/n. Anyone have any ideas what this error actually means and how i can fix it?

2. Techmonkeys

Techmonkeys

Sounds like it could a failing hard drive. Find the make/model of the drive, head over to the manufacturers site and they should have a diagnostics tool for you to download and test the drive with.

3. slicedpan

slicedpan Thread Starter

I actually used the diagnostic tools that are installed on the dell recovery partition, i performed pretty much every test and it seems to be fine. I also used an ubuntu live cd and all partitions mount correctly.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/744179

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice