1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 2000 Problems

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by HeatherH, Apr 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HeatherH

HeatherH Thread Starter

I don't know if this has anything to do with my operating system, but here is my problem:

When I go on to my computer, everything is fine for about 20 min. or so. Then the problems begin. It'll either just restart by itself and then from there it'll either get as far as the desktop before restarting again or it won't even get that far before restarting or showing the blue screen with the error message. When you shut down or restart, it does the same thing with the errors or just restarting. The errors are usually about a bad driver. Then when you shut the computer off and leave it for a while and turn it on again, it does the same thing all over again.

Any suggestions?

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Sounds like you may have an overheating problem. Have you checked your temps in the bios? Post back with what they are.

Something else you can try is starting in safe mode. If you do not have problems in safe mode, you have a software problem, tsr, bad driver. If it restarts in safe mode also, you have a hardware problem.

3. HeatherH

HeatherH Thread Starter

How do I check my temps?

We have tried Safe Mode and still have problems. Should we try wiping it clean and reinstalling everything?

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You can check temps in the bios; when your computer starts there should be a message as to which key you hit to enter bios or setup. Most computers use the DEL key; other ones use the F1, F2, etc. Once in the bios, you will see a menu with many options. It will probably be under something like PC Health, or System Information; voltages and frequency.

To test for overheating, pull the side covers and place a small desk type fan blowing air into the case. If your problem stops, you have found oheating to be the cause. While the case is open, clean it out with a can of air. You can buy the air at any computer store.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Since this appears to be hardware related, I would wait until we can see what is causing the problem. A clean install on a system with say an overheating processor is not going to cure the problem.

6. HeatherH

HeatherH Thread Starter

So we figured out the problem. 3 of the fans weren't working. One is still not working but it runs fine without, but we'll still replace it. Turns out the thing was just overheating. Thanks for the suggestions. (y)

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You are welcome. With summer temps right around the corner, it is a common problem.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223250

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice