1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 2000 "Saving" on shut down after Update

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by compilerxp, Jan 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. compilerxp

compilerxp Thread Starter

On a clean install of Windows2000 on a notebook (Dell Dell Latitude C400) which includes SP2, the computer ran fine.

I used the Windows UPDATE for this computer.

I installed all the drivers.

Then IE6.0SP1

Then the Roll-up Security patches (which doesn't make sense why the OTHER security patches were needed - there were about 20 of them).

Then I installed the remaining security patches.

Now, when I shut-down the unit, it blanks out the desktop and there is a Windows2000 window which says "Windows 2000 is saving your settings"...

This process seems to take about 1-2 minutes!!

Its a fast little notebook, there doesn't seem to be much drive activity - yet this is a PAINFUL shutdown when it worked much faster before. What IS it saving? This is one a fresh reboot even... no APPS or anything to be "saved".

PS: No, I will not install SP3 - If I was willing to do that, then I might as well install XP and give away my system rights to M$.

2nd Question...

When viewing FILES in Windows Explorer. I like to VIEW by details as they TELL you quite a bit more about what youre looking at - especially if you have a directory with hundreds of files.

The thing that is BUGGING me (Especially in XP, and still in 2000) is that the RIGHT Window pain, where all the files are displayed - there on the far left colum is a TON of wasted space of a HTML-ish graphic area that tell you where you are?!

In Windows98/se - M$ was a little bit smart and had an option "View as a web page" which would allow the USER to disable this stupid feature. This is one of the reasons I HATED and did not USE ME and don't use XP.

I'm new to Windows2000, but this stupid "feature" is driving me nuts. It's costing my screen space of MORE important things!

Is there a way to turn this stupid bone-head thing off?

Thanks
    :rolleyes:

2. Huon

Huon

In XP, all I have managed to do is in the view menu, choose explorer bar, tick folders. That changes the left hand pane to a list of folders, that can be made small by dragging the cursor to the left, but not closed.(That reverts to the Graphics).
    Perhaps that list of folders may be more useful to you.
    Sorry, no suggestion on your first Q.

3. Berillio

Berillio

I can't help you with the shutdown problem. I have teh same situation PLUS a false boot, ie I have to reboot twice to reboot to get there - hence my search and the finding of your post.

as far as the 2nd question. YES you can see the files as usual, maybe I inherited them since it was a W95 update.

here are my settings:
    Tools/Folder Options/General
    Active desktop = Use Windows Classic Desktop
    Web View = " " " Folders
    Browse folder = Open in same window
    Click Item = Double click

Tools/Folder Options/View
    Hidden Files = show hidden Files
    -
    -
    -
    Remeber Each Folder's view settings

4. Berillio

Berillio

my shutdown delay is EXACTLY 1 minute.
    To me, it feels like there must be a switch somewhere ........ and it got set to "wait one minute before closing"

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114014

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice