1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 2000 Security Updates - Caveat Emptor

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by BlackHorseman, Jun 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BlackHorseman

BlackHorseman Thread Starter

Hi,

I would like to share with you my latest experience with Win2K security updates and, hopefully, someone here can explain to me why it happened.

I started making Windows updates pretty regularly lately, and that after installing SP 2 from the net - the express setup option. This included upgrading IE to version 5.5 and a long list of security updates (all come with serial numbers like: Q313829). The function that automatically scans for new updates and informed me of them got enabled as well, somewhere along the way :)-)).

A couple days ago it informed me of two new security updates:
    Q321599 and Q318138 (hope I've got the last number right).

Yesterday I installed them both, and everything seemed to be working fine. Then, this morning, I'd started experiencing the scrolling bug I thought I had gotten rid of by installing a driver I downloaded from my mouse's manufacturer site (Genius Netscroll +. it used to happen when I used the scrolling wheel on my mouse - after a while windows would start scrolling themselves up and down hectically and only restarting the computer solved the problem. I have it only in Windows 2000, not in 98SE). I restarted. When Windows loaded, it was very unresponsive. If I wanted to change the screensaver, for instance, I'd right-click on the desktop and select properties, then go make me some coffee, by the time I'd be back with the coffee the properties window would appear, and then it took about 5 minutes for it to respond to my selection of the screensavers' tab.

Like molases.

Uninstalling one of the updates (Q318138) solved the problem. Or so it seems.

Does anyone know of this problem, and why it happens?

Thanks,
    Daniel.

PS: If anybody knows how to solve my scrolling problem, I'd be very grateful...

2. Dr Dave

Dr Dave

Would suggest you use your "System Restore" and goback to a restore point before thia happened. I prefer the "GoBack" system
    over System Restore, because its all done automatically.
    Have a good day.

3. BlackHorseman

The problem is the system loaded in it's 'bad' state. And, uninstalling the update solved it, anyway. So for now, all appears to be OK. But now I'll install GoBack for sure :).

BTW - anyone knows about the scrolling problem I've mentioned above?

Thanks,
    Daniel.

4. BlackHorseman

And pardon my next stupid question, but doesn't GoBack generate a lot of HD activity during day-to-day work, by constantly working in the background?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/83376

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice