1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 2000 setup seems stuck in a loop

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Calr, Sep 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Calr

Calr Thread Starter

Hi all,

Please someone help.

I am installing windows 2000 over the top of 98, but it keeps getting towards the end of the process and then restarting and doing the last section again - it has been doing this for about three hours now.

The point at which it restarts it when it is performing the "final tasks", specifically whilst it is updating system files. When it starts back up, windows loads but instead of going to a desktop it returns to the bit of the installation where it says "windows is installing hardware such as keyboard, mouse etc".

Help!

Thanks,
    Carl.

2. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

Are you booting to the CD again after it restarts?? If you are, don't do that. You should only boot to the CD initially when you start setup. After it copies the files, let it boot normally.

3. Calr

Calr Thread Starter

I haven't touched anything (was afraid to) so the CD had been in the drive the whole time. Thing is it there's no sign of the installation finishing - it seems to restart prematurely if you like, before the final steps are completed. Do you think I should try depriving it of the CD when it restarts?

Thanks,
    Carl.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First of all upgrades from win9x to nt based os are problematic at best. I would boot with the win2k cd and do a clean install of win2k using ntfs. Hopefully you have backed up anything important before starting this project.

5. Calr

Calr Thread Starter

Thanks for your help. Evrything but software is backed up, so I guess I could do a clean install, although I'd rather avoid the hassle.

Since I can't get DOS, how would I do a clean install. Is there a way od entering f-disk or similar during the boot process?

Thanks,
    Carl.

6. Calr

Calr Thread Starter

PS I don't think I'm able to boot from the W2K disk, since the install is not complete windows doesn't load, the setup program just starts up again.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Put your win2k cd in the cd drive and restart the computer. Enter the bios and make sure the boot order is set to CD as first boot device. Save settings and restart. You will see a message "To boot from CD press any key" just hit the space bar and setup will start. Delete all partition on the disk and create one partition; format with ntfs and setup will continue.

Prior to doing this, I would download all win2k drivers that you will need such as video, nic, sound ect. In addition you should download sp4 unless your disk already has it. You can burn these to a cdr; this way everything you need for the install is in one place. Just use the computer you are on now to do this.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

BTW here is an install guide for win2k. It is a step by step guide with screenshots of what the setup screens will look like.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/268938

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice