1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 2000 Small Business Server Crash

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by aclaus225, Oct 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aclaus225

aclaus225 Thread Starter

I experienced a server crash last night. In lieu of wiping out the whole hard drive I created a new installation of the server on the same hard drive. I set the server up the same, same domain and everything, but now the computers that are pointed to that domain controller do not recognize the domain. I believe most of the files from the first install are still intact, so I pretty much have two installations and am given a dual boot option for the server. Is there a way to move the users over from one installation to the other? The crashed installation is called WINNT and the fresh installation is called WINNT2. I still have the shares set up on the drive, so not everything got lost, but I was wondering if there was a way to move over the information from one management console to the other so that I do not have to recreate the users. The only way that I can get the computers to recognize the domain again is by unjoining and rejoining the domain. Thanks for any help that anyone can provide.

2. aclaus225

aclaus225 Thread Starter

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As simple as it sounds, all I had to do was unplug the users CAT-5 from their computers, log them into the Network (to get profiles saved on local machines), then plug in the CAT-5 and let Windows XP ask me for current credentials on users, requiring a lock of the computer (Ctrl, Alt, Del, then Enter to lock) and entrance of the proper credentials.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/637662

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice